PS3 --> Asus MW221U

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syphanx

Daemon Poster
Hey guys,
The answer to this question will depend on whether i get a ps3 or not...

I have an Asus MW221U 22" widescreen monitor which is compatible with dual dvi. Now obviously one DVI port is used for my graphics card, I was wondering if I could use the other to connect to my PS3. Now I know the PS3 uses HDMI connections and I also know there is a cable out there which has a HDMI connection on one end and a DVI on the other. But since HDMI carries both audio and visual and DVI only visual, where do I pick the audio up from?

OR.. is it possible to get a cable which goes from HDMI and splits into both DVI and component audio at the other end? (Since I'm running my speakers through my stereo), the only problem with the audio solution is that whenever I want to play my PS3 I have to go and swap the audio connections.

Thanks for your help guys.

**EDIT**

I have just read on another forum that you can do it by just buying a DVI --> HDMI converter cable (This will work only if your monitor supports HDCP (Which mine does), but I'm still a bit clueless of where the audio gets picked up from? My monitor does have speakers on it, so maybe the audio signal will go straight into that? If so.. Then I'd have to run a 3.5mm --> x2 RCA to put the audio back into my stereo, but then I still have the problem of having to switch the audio cables everytime I want to play.

no audio will travel through that cable due to just video information being sent from the GFX card. The best way to move the audio signal is through an optical sound cable most modern AV equipment has an Optical connection.

By optical you mean digital right?
I'm only using my onboard soundcard off the back of my motherboard (in my sig), i find it fairly good. It does have a digital port on it. When you say it wont carry any audio due to the gfx card, it will be running straight from the PS3 to the monitor... the other DVI will be running from the monitor to the computer. How would I manage to switch between the two? say if I wanted to use the computer, and then later on, want to play some PS3, would I have to disconnect the respective DVI's to play?

Is it also possible to run component audio from the PS3 to my stereo? or would that conflict with the audio running in the HDMI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom