Processor, Video Card, or Builder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DejaVu

Beta member
Ok, first off, I'm new here so "High." Now a couple of months ago a friend of mine decided to upgrade his motherboard and gave me the old one. After I got off of this last deployment, i had a bit of money laying around so I decided "why not? I'll build a computer." Obviously I used the motherboard my friend gave me. This was my first build.

Now, by going off of the Specs, all the parts I used should be compatible, but after the initial power-up, I'm not so sure. Everything came online very smoothly, the blue LEDs looked nice. But no picture came up on my monitor and the power LED as well as the LEDs on the video card were blinking non-stop, once every two seconds. After some troubleshooting, I also noticed that the video card kept making a high-pitched hum, over and over, like the revving of a car engine, restarting every few seconds.

The parts used are as follows:
Video Card: Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4890/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
Processor: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 140W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Motherboard: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Desktop Memory
Hard Drive: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - Internal Hard Drives
Disk Drive: Newegg.com - HP Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA 24X Multiformat DVD Writer - CD / DVD Burners

Any help on this matter would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Can you see both fans spinning on the VC?

Do you have the power cable connected to the video card?

Is the VC installed in the PCIEX16_1 slot?

Did you debuild it yet and start over?

Do you happen to have another similar video card to test?

Any beeps?

There's no beeps, and i have stripped it down and rebuilt it, but the same issue continues to haunt me. I do not, however, have another video card to test it with, sadly.

I just rebuilt, again. Now I'm having a different signal from the LEDs. They're now blinking 4 times/second then pausing for a second and then repeating. And to add to this, the humming I noted earlier is also more rapid between revs.

So what are the chances you this being a damaged video card? Maybe someone else has some insight in this...

First things first, remove everything except for the motherboard/cpu and power supply. Try to boot, it -should- give you beep codes. At that point add in the memory, it should give a different beep code. Next add the hard drive. etc etc. Keep adding parts 1 at a time until which time you find something that doesnt work. Does that board have onboard video? If so that should make the diagnostics a lot easier also.

Just looked, no onboard video. But. Check this out. Post Beep Codes - By Gene Goldring

Did you connect all necessary power cables to the motherboard? (the 24 pin and the 8 pin connector)

Did you try connecting the monitor to the other graphics card output?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom