Processor moving while in operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fullysearchable

Beta member
Hi

It is very late so this will be concise.

I was given an old IBM 2374 by a friend to fix, he said that when moving or picking up the laptop, sometimes the screen would go black.

I have determined that bending the bottom left of the laptop (a couple mm's or so) is what causes this, the screen goes black (backlight on) and everything freezes.
However heres where it gets interesting, with the bottom left-hand corner is then bent upwards the screen comes back and the computer picks up from exactly wherever it left off, even to the point of continuing audio playback (from the exact point when the computer froze) without a hicup.

I have taken apart, taken out and swapped out almost everything.

The CPU is located just above the bottom left hand corner.
My theory is than the CPU is being disturbed and loosing connection, as it could explain how the computer takes off from where it left off.

Despite the backstory, my question is what dose happen if a processor looses connection whilst in operation and does my problem fit the bill.

This is without a doubt the most peculiar thing I have come across.

Do you have any other theories?

I know with desktops the system will just shut off. I'm not aware of a problem in which you describe caused by a CPU losing connectivity. You have to remember that CPU is locked into place by a lever, so even bending the laptop on that edge would not 'dislodge' the cpu b/c it is secure to the motherboard by a lever.

At first I thought this was a connection issue with the screen and the botherboard (you know one of those many cables you disconnected from the MB when dissassembling) but then you said the entire system freezes and starts back up so this couldn't be the case.

Another idea is to try another HD, honestly I haven't heard of issues like yours except in faulty OS systems where the OS was bad or HD was bad in which the reading arm of the hard drive is losing its spot (which would freeze the system) then regaining its location (when it comes back). Check to see if possibly the hard drive could be near the area you are moving around. Could also test the hard drive in another computer and try to 'strain' it in a similar fasion.

Just some ideas that i'm thinking of...

Like most laptops that i've seen the CPU in this one is located on a cradle which uses a screw type arrangment to lock the CPU in place, bear in mind the cradle moves backwards and forwards when locking and un-locking the CPU, as is normal.

I have already swapped out the HDD for another I had laying around but still the same problem. It is also located at the bottom right-hand corner of the laptop.

Thank you

Weird problem man... I guess it could some type of damage on the motherboard. Or like you indicated before it could be the processor I just thought the computer would shut off if the CPU was disconnected, not freeze then pickup where it left off.

Either way man when you figure out the issue let us know, i'm really interested in this one.

The motherboard is most likely damaged, or the processor could be loosing contact with the heatsink causing it to overheat and the system to somewhat power down then when it cools off it powers back up. But I would rather lean towards motherboard damage.

Well got some new info.

The present motherboard is a replacement, this problem has poped up before and the laptop was taken to a 'professional' who replaced the motherboard.

This solved the problem for a period (not sure how long) but obviously not permanently.

So I'm still down to trial and error, I can't see any apparent damage on the motherboard.
The heatsink moving causing the processor to over heat is possible and I shall look into it but I wouldn't expect it to happen instantly and would expect some kind of warning.

In anycase I won't let this laptop beat me :D.

You will NOT get a warning from a overheating CPU unless you have a 3rd party program. REal easy test is to download something free that will monitor temps. But no, you will not get an error or warning, just a system freeze or reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom