Processor incredibly Hot, what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try it my way, I never did trust the BIOS to clear itself :p

Oh, and if you CAN get into the bios, quickly check the voltage settings. I'd recommend manually setting the CPU speed and votlage

I'm assuming you have the X58A-UD3R from the pictures (same board I have). There is a Reset CMOS button on the back, try pressing/holding it to reset the BIOS completely. The LED's by the RAM should come on briefly during boot, though the red ones shouldn't come on (unless you have the V2, I think the red ones come on on the V2, mine's V1). The LED's by the CPU indicate CPU temp and CPU voltage. The bottom two are temp (green is >60, red is >70C) and the top three are voltage (green, yellow, and red indicating level of over-voltage). Obviously the green and red temp lights come on if it is overheating, but note the top LED's, if they come on it means your CPU is getting too much voltage. The LED's by the RAM are supposed to turn off after the BIOS is finished and it switches over to the OS. The LED's in front of the ATX power connector indicate RAM over-voltage (again green, yellow, red) as well as northbridge temp I think. The other group of green/yellow LED's is phase, which can be enabled with the Dynamic Energy Saver application (they essentially show CPU usage). Above that is 5 blue LED's, they light up sequentially when overclocking, the more LED's lit the higher the BCLK speed.

Okay so i got into my bios long enough to see the voltage. Vcore - .948v ddr15v -1.52v +3.3v - 3.264v +5v - 4.811v and +12v - 11.921 V Current cpu temp = 101 current mch = 31 current cpu fan = 2020

Yes I have the ud3r motherboard

That is a perfectly acceptable voltage...all of them are. Do you have it out of the case? What is the room temperature (if your room is hot it won't be able to cool down very well)? Try blowing a fan across it or into your case, I've found that a small desk fan or box fan can cool down a computer pretty quick. All I can think of would be a loose heatsink but if the heatsink is getting hot to the touch the thermal interface should be working. 2000RPM on the heatsink fan should be plenty enough to keep it cool at that voltage. It could be a bad chip I guess if the integrated heat spreader isn't attached to the CPU die correctly but I doubt that would be the case.

It says case opened I'm not sure what that means. I'm letting it cool off to where it's cold then when i turn it on it seems to spike to 100 degrees remarkable fast then shutting off. I can't even boot to the operating system anymore

Case opened is ok, there is a way to hook up a case open switch if the PC were used in a business setting (so you could tell if the hardware was tampered with) but most cases don't have this sensor, so it defaults to "open". Mine does that too and it's nothing to worry about. When you do get the heatsink cooled off, put your finger on it when you turn on the PC and see if it starts getting hot quickly. I don't think the chip should even put out enough heat to get the heatsink hot to the touch in the BIOS, even if the thermal paste was bad.

That's definitely not right, somehow heat isn't transferring off the CPU correctly so the CPU is overheating because none of the heat is being absorbed by the heatsink. Are all four of the pins fully pushed and locked? Sometimes it's easy to leave one loose and then the heatsink doesn't work, you have to rotate the knob things a certain direction before they will completely lock. If the heatsink is completely attached it could be the thermal paste, either too much or too little but the picture you posted should have been fine.

Agreed. If you have a stock heatsink, check the plastic pins on the bottom. Make sure nothing's bent/broken, and when you install the heatsink make sure it feels firm and you can't wiggle it around, and you definitely shouldn't be able to lift it at all.

Anyone ever think it is possible the thermal diodes failed, or that his CPU is faulty in that the IHS isn't contacting the cores? The stock unit/paste was working fine, there would be no reason for it to fail almost instantly.

Something, somewhere, isn't making contact, either the heatsink to IHS, or IHS to the cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom