Processor burnout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C4d4v3r

Beta member
Hey,
My computer's been acting very slow lately, so I was wondering if someone could help me out. Here's my comp info:
FSB: 398.8 MHz
Bus Speed: 99.7 MHz

Motherboard Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
Motherboard Model: Dimension 8200
Graphic Interface Version: AGP 3.0
Graphic Interface Transfer Rate: 4x

Memory--->
Type: RDRAM
Size: 768 MB
Frequency: 398.8 MHz

DirectX Version: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Graphics Card info--->
Device Name: NVIDIA BFG GeForce 6200 OC
Device Chip Type: GeForce 6200
Device Approx. Total Memory: 256.0 MB

Drivers Main Driver: nv4_disp.dll
Drivers Version: 6.14.0010.9371 (English)

Now for the problem: About 2.5 weeks ago, I was playing a Rakion, an online action/rpg by Ijji. Up to this point, the computer was acting fine. I was playing the game late one afternoon, and I thought the computer was going a bit slow, so I rebooted it. As soon as it came up, it was crawling along. Everything took 3x longer to load, and I didn't even think about trying out a game. I hit Alt-Ctrl-Del and took a look at the performance tab. Everytime I just move the mouse the CPU usage rockets up 10% at a time. When I click the start button, 100% of the CPU is used.

The day after this happened, I left for vacation for 10 days. Upon returning, I booted up my computer, and it now buzzes at me loudly when it boots up, but quiets down once I sign into my user. Also, the computer will constantly sound like it's working, as in the sounds internally from the computer itself. It doesn't sound like it's working hard, but it is constantly working. I'm almost certain this is a CPU problem, and i'm a computer geek in my own right, but i've not delt with a problem like this before. I will note that this has happened once before, but the problem righted itself within an hour, so I thought nothing of it.

Does anyone have this problem, or have had this problem? Please help.

Thanks,
C4d4v3r

Something is getting old in that computer, try to do a few tests first, mainly a memory test before you jump to conclusions, but it does sound like the CPU is getting old.

I ran memtest86+ for the past 7 hours (I was at work), and it came up 0 errors. So the problem doesn't lie in the memory. Is there a way I can run a similar diag on my CPU?

PC doc if you can get a copy, you can also try a load test with prime95 or Hload, though those don't actually check for errors, they just make your CPU work it's butt off.

I have PC Doc, and according to it, i've got no problems whatsoever. =/

So what this kinda boils down to is that I need a new processor, cuz this one's crapped out. I've been looking at some cpu's, and the one that seems to be a winner (and reasonably priced) is the Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor . Would this be a good buy? Or should I go with a single core? I don't know much at all at upgrading computers other than graphics cards. Thanks for the help so far!

You are going to need a new motherboard and ram too. If you havent posted this in the building/upgrading computers section, I would do so now so people can tell you what to get thats within your budget.

Hmm, well, i'm also gathering parts to build a new computer, so I think i'm going to save money by just buying a replacement cpu for my burned out one for now. Where could I find either the same or slightly better/worse processor that I have now that would fit my board?

Well, the buzzing noise has subsided now, and has been replaced by the increased volume of the main fan. I think the buzzing was caused by something small stuck in the fan after I left for vacation, and it recently shook loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom