Is processor blown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quintox

Daemon Poster
I just received an AMD XP 2600+ from a friend/clanmate (it came from a working system), and when I went to put it in, the PC wouldn't boot.

Now, I first had/have in an XP 2000+, and everything worked fine. All I did was open PC, etc, and take off HS/fan (which took a while lol) and then put in the 2600, and thats it. I didn't clean or reapply paste (I didn't have any paste, so I just used the excess paste on the bottom copper of the heatsink) for the 2600+, so would that have anything to do with it?

I heard that maybe it won't boot b/c it doesn't have enough paste or whatever and is too hot. Are there any other ways of fixing this?

Another thing I thought of is that my BIOS needs upgraded. I have a MSI KT4V MS6712, and 1.9 bios. The newest is like 1.C, and its 3 up from what I have, but I see no mention of an 2600 anywhere, not even in BIOS before. It talks about 2500,2700, etc, but no 2600.

Soo, should I get new paste, or update bios, or what? Oh also, mobo isn't messed up b/c I put back in my 2000 to use for now. Also the 2600 looks brand new compared to the 2000 that is in now.

Any help would be great.

Yes, I had a thread on this but nobody replied, and I thought it might have been under wrong section.

a similar thing happened to me... I was working on a pc(had just finished building it *new) with a 2000+ and for some reason it wouldn't boot, so I put my 2400+ in and it worked... so I retried the 2000+ and it worked.. like I'd jump started it or something...

I presume it didn't post to the bios logon? If you have added a new CPU, your mobo bios should have loaded and told you that the core voltage was incorrect and then you could adjust the bios to the corect settings for the new CPU. When you installed the CPU did the mobo not do the bios logon? If it did, you need to enter the bios and update the settings or, leave in the old CPU and update the bios and then reinstall the new CPU.

I have (had) the exact same board. I fried it about a week ago. Probably flashed wrong BIOS.
If I remember correctly there was a BIOS update with added support for 2600+. It's not the thermal paste. Can't be, it should even boot without thermal paste. I don't apply new thermal paste either if I switch my CPU and HSF to another board.
Before flashing your BIOS you should make absolutely sure you download the right BIOS. There's a KT4V and a KT4V-L, both are MS6712! if I remember correctly. Look at the numbers between the PCI slots also, and look at the numbers displayed at POST.
I'll do some googling, maybe I can find it.

TheMajor said:

Version 1.B
Update Description: Support Sempron 2200+/2300+/2400+/2500+/2600+/2800+ CPU.

Yes, thanks, but I saw that already, but all those are Semprons? I don't have a Sempron. Or and I wrong and will that work?

Thanks for all the replies though, really. :p

Quintox said:
Yes, thanks, but I saw that already, but all those are Semprons? I don't have a Sempron. Or and I wrong and will that work?

Thanks for all the replies though, really. :p

Oops.didn't notice it. I don't know then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom