Proc overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffski

Beta member
Hey,

got a problem, thinking i may get some help here.

I really don't do much with pc hardware anymore, haven't kept up with it much the last few years.

Anyway, I have a 3.2 p4 and it is overheating. The stock heatsink fan combo are on there, obviously I tried adding thermal but that didn't help, plus it already had it, in fact adding thermal made it get hotter faster, but I also cleaned off the dust. I watch in the bios and the temp just climbs till it hits 85 degrees C and then kills.

My plan is to go buy another heatsink fan combo and I am hoping this will fix the problem, but I really don't understand why its happening.

Not to get into huge detail, but I have been searching the internet for a while and I cannot figure out the answer.

The only thing that I can see that could cause a problem is the fan on the heatsink goes clockwise, meaning it pushes air back down instead of pulling it out, is that the thing now a days or has it always been like that??!? There was a bunch of dust piled up behind the fan and when I cleaned that up it seemed to get even hotter faster.

I am thinking factory mess up but I can't really act like an expert so I am looking for someone to back me up on my diagnosis.

Either way I think that buying a new heat sink fan combo will fix the problem, I am just wondering if I should take the current one back if it is a problem.

When you apply the thermal paste you need to put it on real even with like a thin piece of cardboard like a business card apply it on thin and no bumps or crevasse's. And you need to keep it clean just on the chip not all over the place. Also check to make sure the heat sync is on properly tight against the chip. The fan is supposed to blow down into the heat sync to move the heat out of the fins. Also I think your right with going ans getting a new heat sync and fan. That should fix it right up. You can go into your bios and under PC health you can set your computer to shut off if the temp gets to high to save you a burnt out chip.
Also make sure your case fans are cleaned and working too.

cool, yeah I did all that, used a credit card to apply it. The thermal paste that was already on there wasn't to messed up anyway but I completely took that off and then dabbed on the thermal paste and spread it out evenly.

Also made sure the two were connecting just fine. I am a bit confused as to why it would heat up so quickly though.

The bios is set to kill at 85 degrees C

When I turned it back on from being off for how long it started at 71 degrees C and only took about 20 seconds to get to 86 and then kill which seemed to be heating faster then when it had a bunch of dust on it.

All of the other fans in the box are fine, its only about 2 months old and when I was putting on the thermal I blew off all the other fans.

All of the speeds that can be set in the bios are default of lower if I could set it lower just to make sure its not just set to run faster.

If anyone else was asking the question I would suggest they made a mistake on the application of thermal paste or the installation of the processor but since its me I would have liked to believe that wasn't the case but all signs point to the contrary.

Totally confused still, but I am going with the new heat sink fan and I am pretty confident that will fix it, I just like to understand the underlying problem, otherwise it is going to bother me ;)

Thanks for the reply, I really wasn't sure about the fan going clockwise like that, seemed odd that it would blow the hot air back at the processor but I was just wondering I didn't know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom