Problems with WD5002AALX 500gb HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raliard

Beta member
I ordered 2x WD5002AALX 500GB Western Digital drives from Amazon about a month ago. Both drives quickly started behaving erratically, spinning down and then back up when attempting to read from or write to the disk. It got to the point I could not even recover data from one of the drives because the problem was so bad.

Both drives came from a batch manufactured on 05 MAY 2011.

I Got an RMA for both drives from Amazon and they sent me 2 new drives. The one I am using has a manufacture date of 20 JUN 2011, so I assume it isn't from the same batch. I installed Windows XP Pro, updated it, installed hardware drivers, downloaded and installed Avast! and other little things with no issues. As soon as I placed a CD with some of my backed up data from the previous drives into my drive and tried to copy the files onto the new drive it started exhibiting the same behavior. I used Avast! to double check for any virus and found none.

Has anyone else been experiencing similar problems with this drive? Is the entire series just a dud from Western Digital? I'm very frustrated and want to know if I am alone in this or if others using the same drive have had a similar experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom