Problems with WD5002AALX 500gb HDD? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Problems with WD5002AALX 500gb HDD?

I ordered 2x WD5002AALX 500GB Western Digital drives from Amazon about a month ago. Both drives quickly started behaving erratically, spinning down and then back up when attempting to read from or write to the disk. It got to the point I could not even recover data from one of the drives because the problem was so bad.

Both drives came from a batch manufactured on 05 MAY 2011.

I Got an RMA for both drives from Amazon and they sent me 2 new drives. The one I am using has a manufacture date of 20 JUN 2011, so I assume it isn't from the same batch. I installed Windows XP Pro, updated it, installed hardware drivers, downloaded and installed Avast! and other little things with no issues. As soon as I placed a CD with some of my backed up data from the previous drives into my drive and tried to copy the files onto the new drive it started exhibiting the same behavior. I used Avast! to double check for any virus and found none.

Has anyone else been experiencing similar problems with this drive? Is the entire series just a dud from Western Digital? I'm very frustrated and want to know if I am alone in this or if others using the same drive have had a similar experience.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Problems with WD5002AALX 500gb HDD?

It could be corrupt data. Can you do this safely on another system?
__________________ Steam Account
Closed Thread