Problems upgrading graphics card - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2006, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Unhappy Problems with new graphics card!

Hey everyone,

Windows xp home edition
AMD XP 3200+ Barton processor
ASUS A7N8x-E Deluxe motherboard
1Gb corsair ram (2x512)
ATI Radeon 9700 128m 8x agp card.

My friend gave me a free Radeon 9800 pro 256mb card and im having trouble installing it. First I uninstalled all ati drivers for safe measures. Then I took out the 9700, then put in 9800 pro, rebooted. Installed the newest drivers from Everything went perfectly, until I rebooted. Once I rebooted with the 9800 in and the new drivers, I experienced what ive been told is "artifacting" and crazy/wierd lines. Everything boots up fine, windows starts. Everything is okay except for the display, everything is all messed up looking. Happens even after rebooting. Im stuck, tried to search on how to fix this problems with no luck.

My friend upgraded to a $500 card so he didnt need his "old" 9800, he said it worked great for him and nothing was wrong with it. Ive resorted to uninstalling drivers, putting back in my 9700, and reloading drivers. So im back to square one, any help is appreciated.

Old 01-19-2006, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Still artifacting

Old 01-20-2006, 01:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

could be heat related. also if that card needs auxilary power make sure its plugged in
Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Is the 9700 artifacting or just the 9800 pro?

Life is too important to be taken seriously - Oscar Wilde
Old 01-22-2006, 04:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The 9700 runs beautifully, no problems what so ever. The 9800 runs only when I dont have any drivers installed. Its only when I install drivers (ive tried 3 different sets so far ) and restart that it artifacts and goes crazy on me.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ive had that problem in games but its been a heat problem. Myself and my mates found that when we all (3 of us) went to ATi, the first thing we all said was how much we hated the drivers... im still using mine and still i dont enjoy the drivers. but best of luck to figuring that out, sounds unlucky.

Closed Thread