Problems Upgrading DDR RAM!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

COCOCOOKIE

In Runtime
HI! I have a DELL Dimension 3000/ Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz/ Windows XP Home/ 512 MB RAM, in two 256MB sticks of PC3200 (400 mhz) DDR CL3.
Now, I've bought a double-sided 512MB "Corsair" stick to replace one of those 256MB (I only have two slots for RAM...I know it sucks!) and it won't pass the POST...I get the BEEEEP!!! I've tried with the other slot and even the 512MB stick by itself and the same, but when I went back to the old two 256MB sticks everything is fine. Is the new stick defective or I just can't mix different size modules?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS!!!!!

What are you trying to get out of using a single stick of 512MB versus 2 256? :confused:

Probably a voltage problem.

Check the voltage on both of them and tell us what they say.

Hi,there! What I did was, I replaced one of those 256MB for a 512MB for a total of 768MB. I returned the 512MB stick, I don't have it with me. I'm just checking if I made a mistake or the stick was defective. Thanks!

COCOCOOKIE said:
Hi,there! What I did was, I replaced one of those 256MB for a 512MB for a total of 768MB. I returned the 512MB stick, I don't have it with me. I'm just checking if I made a mistake or the stick was defective. Thanks!

it might be that you need two like sticks in order for it to work hence the ddr. if you want to upgrade again then try 2 512s maybe

Hi,Networkgeek! Yeah, that was what I was thinking...I don't see any other cause for that problem. Thanks. Anybody has more suggestions??? THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom