Problems at Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelred

In Runtime
This happens about once every ten times I start my computer.

When I start the computer, it simply locks and does not finish the startup procedure. For example, this morning, I start the computer. It gets to Windows password screen. After entering password, I can see my desktop and all my icons. But then it doesn't "complete". It simply freezes. It doesn't load my Kaspersky. I can't do anything, although I can move the mouse. I have to hold down the power button to force a shut off and try again.

This morning, it took me 4 tries to get computer running. First two times, it "locked" at the desktop screen. Third time, it locked after entering Windows password and just see the hourglass icon working. Fourth time it worked and everything started up normally.

Again, this happens maybe once every ten times/days. Fortunately, I always manage to eventually get to my desktop, after either a 2nd, 3rd, or a 4th try of simply powering computer down and powering up again.

FYI, Acer Aspire M3400, Athlon II X2 215 Processor, 2700 Mhz, 600 GB HD, 4 GB Memory, Windows 7 Premium, 64 Bit, Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, system was purchased in September.

Thanks for any help to diagnose problem. Let me know if need additional info.

Go into safe mode. Press F8 as soon as post is done. Select safe mode from list.

If everything works OK, go to Run, type in msconfig
Go to the startup tab. Anything you find fishy in there, uncheck it, you can always re-enable it. Just look at where it is located to help.
Restart in normal, see if it gets any better.

2mnlwll.png

Here's what I have in Startup right now. Not much. I think I need DLBX for my printer.

????

Just revisiting this problem. The computer has done Chkdisk over last couple months (actually, a couple times automatically on its own, and I don't know why). Doesn't seem to find anything.

Anyway, this startup problem persists. Just happened this morning. Gets to the desktop with icons. Starts to complete startup processes. Then just freezes. I can see my Clock Widget and the second hand stop, so I know nothing's happening. And the only thing I can do is move the mouse.

However, on power down and restarting again, everything works ok.

Doesn't happen all the time. Maybe once every 15/20 times I start the computer. And usually I get it to work on the 2nd restart, but I've had to go to 3rd or 4th in the past. Makes me nervous that one time I'll never be able to restart at all.

Thoughts?

If your computer is scheduling chkdsk on it's own, then either it's flagged a sector on the hard drive, and it needs to "repair" it be moving the data from it, to another sector, and mark the old one bad, or it is having issues removing the flag.

I suggest using Hirens boot cd and perform the non-destructive tests such as HDD Regenerator, the test CAN take a long time on larger drives.

Last but not least, replace the cable between the motherboard and hard drive, a flaky connection or cable can cause intermittent issues, and cause this behavior. It can also cause the drive to appear as "bad" and will cause the system to perform a chkdsk operation at boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom