Problems with PCI card and motherboard/RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buswell

Beta member
Hi, I've trawled everywhere trying to look for a solution to a baffling problems, so I wonder if anyone knows what I need to do.

My PC (spec below) has been running fine for a while. No major problems. Yet I've just bought a USB 2.0 PCI card and everytime I put it in, the PC wouldn't load up. When I take the card out, the PC loaded fine, but as soon as I put it back in, it wouldn't even turn on.

I thought the motherboard might need updating, so I used flash855 and when I put in the USB card, it loads up (so far so good). However, when I now try to load XP, it bluescreens and comes up with an error STOP : 0x0000007F (0x000000D, 0x0000000, 0x0000000, 0x0000000). It also states it could be the RAM (although this is new, it was working for a week before I tried this new card).

Is this to do with my BIOS, or have I found something else out now!

Here's the spec.

MOTHERBOARD : Gigabyte GA-6VX7-4X
CPU : Pentium 3 800 / 133Mhz
RAM : 1 Gb (2 sticks of 512) PC-133 SDRAM
HDD : Western Digital 80gig
PSU : Macron Power MPT-301 300w

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Cheers

Buswell

If it only happens when this card is installed, and your getting memory errors, there could be a problem with the memory addressing with your PCI bus. How many PCI cards do you have installed? Have you tried taking one out and seeing if you still have the same problem?

hi,
Thanks for the response. I only have this one PCI card in there. I've taken it out, and tried to reinstall XP (as I had to after flashing the BIOS). Now it goes so far before I get an error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

I'm concerned my RAM may not be working for whatever reason.

Thanks for that. I'm testing it now, and it's getting errors. stating failed addresses. Is it just a case of taking out the RAM and trying it again to determine which is causing it, or is there a way of interpreting the data further. At the moment, it's just a bunch of failing addresses that mean very little to me.

Thanks again for your help. It seems I'm finally moving on this problem, as all other tests had shown the RAM as being fine.

Yae, take each stick out one at a time and test them individually. If you're getting errors, narrow it down to which stick of RAM is bad and you'll just have to replace it. There's really no need to try and examine the errors.

Memtest is usually really good, but once in a while it can report false errors, if you know someone that has a system you can test that memory in I would do that first, but other than that just replace it.

I've yet to perform a full test, but prelim signs show that moving one stick to the next available slot (3 of 3) seems to work fine, so maybe my slot 2 is damaged somehow.

Don't suppose there's any issues you know of using slots 1 and 3 for RAM? Seems fine, but didn't know if it causes issues anyone knows of.

Anyway, thanks very much for all your help with this, Bassmaster. Think you've saved my PC and enabled me to finish recording a well overdue album!

Buswell said:
I've yet to perform a full test, but prelim signs show that moving one stick to the next available slot (3 of 3) seems to work fine, so maybe my slot 2 is damaged somehow.

Don't suppose there's any issues you know of using slots 1 and 3 for RAM? Seems fine, but didn't know if it causes issues anyone knows of.

Anyway, thanks very much for all your help with this, Bassmaster. Think you've saved my PC and enabled me to finish recording a well overdue album!

Hey glad I could help. If slot 2 seems to be the problem, just don't use it. If 1 and 3 work fine, there shouldn't be any issues at all. Glad you got it figured out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom