Problems with newly installed Radeon 9550

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barb

Beta member
Before posting this, I did do a brief search for any similar problems, but I wasn't really able to find anything helpful in the few minutes I took. Hopefully I haven't missed some resolved topic dealing with my issue. Please don't flame me or anything.

My computer's an hp pavilion a620n . Specs are in the link, if needed to solve this. I bought it a couple years ago, it's been pretty okay, no huge issues or anything. Recently I've wanted to play more graphically demanding games, so in June I bought and installed an ati Radeon 9550 AGP card.

Since then, my computer has been crashing, going into software rendering via VPU recover, stopped responding, and the like. When I try to open just about any game my computer dies right away.

I'm pretty lost at this point. I don't know how I've managed to tolerate this for a month. I'm hoping I can get some help here. Is my problem due to improper cooling, insufficient power supply, incompatibility? What is it? I need to know if there's anything I can do or buy to correct this rather than take out the video card, buy a new one, or buy a fan or new power supply that may be unnecessary.

Sorry for the trouble. Please help. :mad:

When I was reading up somewhere or other, it said I wouldn't need to mess with my BIOS. But I suppose it's worth a try, as it's obviously not working the way it is now.

Problem is, I don't really know how to mess with my BIOS. Think you could point me in the right direction to a guide or just tell me?

Sorry again for the trouble. I'm a noob.

my Radeon 9600XT is like this also, i get alot of crashes with it and it doesn't perform to well either. Brought it brand new about 4 months ago.

Radeon 9600XT 256mb
2GB Ram
P4 3.0GHz HyperThreading
Windows XP SP2

MY PSU is 230v i think. also, whats the highest graphical game that my 9600xt can take? as the 9600xt shipped with half-life 2, i cant imagine my card running that with no lag at the moment.

It could quite possibly mean your PSU is struggling to power everything in your rig. What are your voltages running at?

Wow a lot of people are having problems with ATI AGP cards, I think I've seen more problem occurring during gaming or intensive graphical application with these AGP cards. Both of you should get the latest driver and Catalyst Control Center. Then check the SMARTGART setting, you should turn off or down your AGP speed or the Fastwrite (some motherboard canÂ’t support that). Other problem could be incompatibility or overheating issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom