problems with new ati all in wonder 2006 video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

xerxes2044

Beta member
i really hope someone can help me!

in july, i purchased an ati all in wonder 2006 card in anticipation of the 2005 football season (im a rabid giant fan). i only have one tv in my house so i didnt want to torture the rest of the family with football, as they do not share the same appreciation for sports as i do. plus, i wanted to be able to play warcraft 3 and sacred underworld under prettier visuals, and i can't leave out system shock 2....

anyway, so i got the card, and inserted it in my agp slot. i turned my computer on, but when it asked me to restart after i installed the included software, my computer would turn on but my monitor showed no video and my monitor light would just blink.

i tried calling ATI on a number of occasions, but their lines are constantly busy. i tried consulting compaq technicians online (i have a compaq presario 5000). i guessed that i would have to disable the on-board, integrated graphics capabilities in order for the computer to recognize the all in wonder as the primary card, but there seems to be no such option in my BIOS to do so. i explained this to the technicians on 10 separate occasions, but they would keep telling me to disable the on board graphics via the BIOS. Naturally, i gave up hope on them helping me.

so i tried the card out on a Dell Pentium 3 933mhz with 128 mb sdram. the card worked perfectly. although i didnt try to connect a cable tv cable to the tv tuner, the card worked for 3 days until i removed it.

by the way, my computer sports an athlon 1.3 ghz with 512mb of sd ram, a 60 gb hard drive and a sound blaster live 24bit sound card. please help me! i want to use this damn thing already.

Thank you so much.

Konrad Krawczyk

You were using the onboard prior to this ATI ?

ATI and other Graphics platforms don't get along very well.
Can you even see POST ?

You might have to go in and completely wipe out all NON ATI graphics drivers in order to make this work.

i dont kno whether you can see post and get into your bios but try taking the cmos batter out for at least 30 sec to reset the bios and go in check your setting on your agp slot if no luck their try flashing your bios w/ the latest update good luck

jaydawg3122 said:
i dont kno whether you can see post and get into your bios but try taking the cmos batter out for at least 30 sec to reset the bios and go in check your setting on your agp slot if no luck their try flashing your bios w/ the latest update good luck

NO, NO, NO... Don't attempt to flash your BIOS. If you're having difficulty installing a videocard, then FLASHING your BIOS is a step above where you're at right now. Too much can go wrong in Flashing that would just add to your problem.

CLEARING YOUR CMOS would be the best thing right now. Use the jumper or pull the CMOS battery out of the MOBO for 5 minutes then reinstall. Now enter the BIOS and edit your BIOS settings as you wish. Then follow these next steps.

Installing videocards is easy, yes, but you need to follow the correct path to get there.

1.) YOU MUST - Uninstall all Display Drivers and other drivers associated with your current videocard.

2.) SHUT DOWN - Install new videocard properly.

3.) Boot to BIOS - Make sure your MOBO is set to AGP not PCI. Configure AGP aperture if needed. Disable onboard video if enabled.

4.) Save > EXIT > Restart. Windows will recognize the new window card > Prompt to install drivers > Install Drivers > Restart

That's the way it's done. If you've done these steps but not in this order, start over from step one and follow these steps.

Dan DeVille said:
What if your card is PCI?

Well his Videocard is a new ATI All In Wonder and it's AGP, so i'm not going to give him instruction on how to select PCI in BIOS???

If your card is PCI, yes, select PCI.

apokalipse said:
I just looked up the specs of your computer, it doesn't support AGP 8X. only AGP 2x, which uses a different amount of voltage too.

oh, that sucks... Kinda throws a wrench into the whole thing... Compaq mobo's aren't usually to good with increasing voltages...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom