Problems with the current and my psu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilly man 2

Solid State Member
I wasnt getting help in a another forum so i found this.

My computer specs:

Antec Neo He 550w
Seagate SATA ll 160gig
AMD 4200 Duel Core
Nvidia XFX 7800gt 256mb
ABIT AN8-ULTRA Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra
OCZ Performance 2GB "gold"
Windows XP

now, i installed everything. got windows installed. it does run
but after about 7minutes after you turn it on, the PSU starts making a clicking noise. like "tet tet tet tet" with about 1 second inbetween each "tet"

now, when the psu makes the noise, the lights in my room dim.
they kind of blick, "not off but a lil darker, like there isnt enough volt getting to the lights" i mean, the psu cant be drawing the much current, could it?

WTF is wrong? is my psu shot? spiking? overheating?
im really mad because its a 100$ psu

thanks-Joe

EDIT:
deleted and remade post

When i turn my computer on. around 5-7minutes the psu starts making and electrical shorting sound. it stops when i turn off my ceiling lights though...

here is the stats when it starts beeping.

cpu: 31c - 87f
sys: 24c - 75f
pwm: 31c - 87f

help?

It most likely is an electrical problem in your house. Most likely your house was wired is not able to handle the power used by PSU. Which would effect all the other electrical components nearby.

To make sure that is your problem, plug in a 12 amp vacuum cleaner with the lights on, if the lights change brightness and stay that way, you could have a problem. Normally they will just blink and go back the way they were.

Are you sure its not your harddrive making the clicking sounds?

try another AC outlet and get everything on a surge surpressor.

My PSU has now blown up, it was smoking and smelt of somthing that burnt inside the psu. Is my 1500$ of hardwear destroyed?
none of my 4pin molex are burnt or anything. how can i test my hardwear "my mobo" to make sure its not fried, and no, i dont have another psu to test. i need something like a multimeter so i can see if the curcuit is still intact.

im going to assume my psu shorted because it was malfunctional "as everyone said in (www.computerforum.com)"

So what are my odds that it is all still OK?

turtile said:
To make sure that is your problem, plug in a 12 amp vacuum cleaner with the lights on, if the lights change brightness and stay that way, you could have a problem. Normally they will just blink and go back the way they were.

they blink and they go back to normal.

turtile said:
It most likely is an electrical problem in your house. Most likely your house was wired is not able to handle the power used by PSU. Which would effect all the other electrical components nearby.

If that were the case, wouldnt the lights just fade and thats it?
and why would the psu just blow-up in a pile of smoke?
if anything there wouldnt be enough power and it shouldnt surge because of a lack of power. also i bet it was a pos psu "malfunctional"

i am trading it back in for another one. but i want to know if there is something i can do to test the hardwear so i know if its fried or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom