Problems with computer startup. Video problems? I'm not sure - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 01:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to RodrigoKim
Default Problems with computer startup. Video problems? I'm not sure

Hey I'm having this problem where whenever i turn on my computer, the screen is filled with colorful stripes.
Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about:
At the Dell Startup:

Windows XP loading screen:

After Windows XP loading screen:

Then I don't know what this screen is, but it's after the one above, sorry about the flash on the screen:

This is still the same screen as above, but just seconds after, has some changes in the pattern:

You can see the loading cursor, so i'm guessing its when the welcome screen is loading?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sometimes after the Windows XP startup loading, nothing appears and my monitor LED light goes orange:

After, I have to manually reboot the computer by holding the power button and then everything goes to normal. Is this damaging my computer?
Does anyone know how to fix this? PLEASE HELP ME!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My computer Specs:
Dell Dimension 8400
Windows XP Home Edition v2002 Service Pack 2
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20 GHz 3.19GHz, 1.00GB of RAM
PCI Express 16x 256MB nVidia GeForce 6800
Thanks again!

Old 11-07-2005, 01:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

no that won't damage your computer, however I think your video card is either overheating really quickly because the cooler is not on properly, or you need a new one...

Old 11-07-2005, 11:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to RodrigoKim

Quote:
Originally posted by apokalipse
no that won't damage your computer, however I think your video card is either overheating really quickly because the cooler is not on properly, or you need a new one...
no its not overheating, according to my temperature settings of my graphic card, its at 59 degrees (fereignheit or celcius im not sure, but the bar is 2 filled up and green.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Your video card/GPU is toast. This is a classical presentation of a rapidly dying GPU. If it is an agp card replace it...if it is dell on-baord graphics....new mobo.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

as a final test hook the monitor up to another computer. If it works then it is video card. If it does not work hook another monitor up to your comp. I am going with video card.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Closed Thread