problem with using a tv as a computer monitor - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default problem with using a tv as a computer monitor

Hello everyone. I am having a little problem here, I have searched the internet and cant seem to find an answer to my problem. I bought a 19" sansui LCD tv from walmart for 100 bucks. I figured it would make a great computer monitor. I hooked it up using a VGA cable, thought everything was working fine, the desktop works, my internet explorer works, most programs work fine. However, when I try to load a game, for instance the sims 3, the screen goes black. I can hear the game music, but no video shows up. I hooked it up the exact same way as my old monitor. The weird thing is some games I have are working, but the majority of my games arent. My pc has a Nvidia Geforce 9500 gt card in it. My computer does have a HDMI outlet, would it matter if I hooked the computer up to the tv this way? Sorry if I put this in the wrong spot.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: problem with using a tv as a computer monitor

Have you tried updating your graphic drivers?

Old 01-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: problem with using a tv as a computer monitor

Wow, I feel like such an idiot, I thought the driver had been updated last month, guess I was wrong. Thanks for your help.
Closed Thread