Problem with USB Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

suppafreak

In Runtime
I am trying to figure out what happened.

I have two USB Flash Drives and one external USB HS case with 80GB HD in it.

I was replacing the mother board and accidentally connected the USB cable to IEEE1394 port and IEEE1394 cable to the USB port. For the love of god, please explain to me why the connectors are exactly the same, but that is not the problem. Not realizing what I did, I started the computer. There were no error messages. I inserted one of the flash drives in to the USB hub and WinXP did not recognize it, there were no error messages. I plugged in the external HD to the USB hub and that was not recognized also. That seemed strange to me at first, but then I re-checked the connectors. Realizing what I did I switch the cables on the mobo and restarted the computer.

From then on every time I plug in either the external HD or one of the USB flash drive I get the following error:

"One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance solving the problem click on this message."

When I do that I get the USB not recognized dialog which just tells me that there is unknown device.

However, if I plug-in my other USB Flash drive the WinXP recognize it.

So since I plugged the two devices in the USB port that was connected to the IEEE1394 connection, are those devices hosed now or there is a way to fix this problem?

What scares me even more, when I connected the same two devices to my laptop; I got the same error message. So I think I burned the two devices. But if I am wrong let me know how this can be fixed.

I would say there toast. I plugged my front panel USB plug in backwards and plugged my Creative Zen 6 gig mp3 player into it and my computer crashed. It fried my MOBO and my Zen player. That was a crappy mistake. And my player wont play on nothing anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom