Problem with thermal gel

thegoatthesaurus

Beta member
Everytime my computer overheats and everytime I replace the thermal gel, nyuuuuugh.

Sometime a while a ago my computer started overheating when it got too over processed and it just got worse and worse turns out that the thermal paste behind the cpu fan was melting so i replaced that and then it was good for 2 weeks or so and then it happened again and then i replaced it again (eat sleep rave repeat) eventually i replaced the cpu fan but the problem keeps happening. none of it seems to make much sense and i haven't found anywhere even close to a solution, could it be i am not using the right thermal paste because if so i have forgotten the brand and i don't have it anymore.:watermelon::watermelon:

...it doesn't take much thermal paste between a heatsink and processor... typically just enough so that when you put the heatsink on the entire surface is covered but you don't get any seeping out. Sounds like your putting WAY too much on, also, thermal paste doesn't melt... but it does run a lot if your using way too much.

Not sure what kind of paste they're using in that guide, but they shouldn't be spreading it out like that - nor using cotton swabs to apply thermal paste. IMO that leaves the chance of (if using lower quality swabs) cotton breaking/ripping off and getting stuck in the paste and inhibiting heat transfer.

Just take your thermal compound, squeeze out a rice sized in the middle of the CPU and then put the cooler on. The cooler will spread it out evenly.

As for what kind... I personally like TX-2. It's cheap, and one of the better performers.

Back
Top Bottom