Problem with RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aesthetic816

Solid State Member
Hey all, first post here. I have an issue with my RAM. I have 3 DD3 2gb ram sticks. But my computer is showing me that i only have 4 gb. I have 6 slots for RAM. Is it true that it needs to be even, like 2 ram sticks on each side or something like that? All 3 sticks are brand new, i tried switching them around and everything. What should i do? Thanks in advance.

Are you running a 64bit operating system? 32bit Operating systems can't "see" more than around 4gigs of ram. Also, what type of motherboard do you have?

In order to run the RAM sticks in dual or tripple mode, they will need to be in certain slots. You'll need to read the manual for your motherboard to know which slots to go into, and whether or not your mobo supports tripple mode. If it doesn't support tripple mode, you might not be able to use the 3rd stick because it could cause your system to run in single mode. It depends on how your motherboard works.

Download this program to help you know more info on your system, it's a very nice little free program:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

ok i downloaded that program..im running windows 7 x64 ...i have an Asus p6t SE Mobo...the program also shows that i have 6144mb of ram..and thats its ddr..says Channels # :Triple..idk wat that means.

also when i go to the SPD tap and i pick from slot 1 to 3..it shows all 3 ram sticks..its so wierd that im only getting 4gb of ram tho.

"my computer is showing 4GB" - Is that through Computer Properties?

Try going into BIOS and see if the same is true. Try running Memtest86+ for a few laps. See if all your RAM is OK.

yea when i go to system properties it says 4gb..and was is Memtest86+? im good with computers .. but i dont know all that tech stuff yet.

You have 3 sticks so they must be inserted into either slots 1,3,5 or 2,4,6.

Sometimes, even thou the modules are fully inserted into the slots, they just don't make good contact. Remove all the modules and reinsert them into the slots. Make sure you have the alignment notch in the module and slots lined up and "Firmly Insert them", don't baby them in. You want to hear the memory "Click-In Sharply".

well i checked the BIOS..its only showing 4gb available..

OMG I FIXED IT ! HAHAHA SWEEEEEET..all i did was switch them around and now its showing i have 6gb! yes yes yes yes yes yes thanks everyone!!!!!!!!! =D XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom