Gigabyte motherboard
2 x 2GB DDR3
Radeon HD770
Creative Audigy Soundcard
1 x 250GB SATA HDD
4 to 5 Case fans
1 x Optical Drive
1 x Floppy Drive

And I was using a 500W to power all that. After testing my PC out, it ran fine for a moment, then as I was adjust some power cables everything just shut off. PC would not turn on.

I tried another PSU of 450W with just the motherboard, and it worked. But as I started to connect more and more things. The exact same thing happened.

Do I need to buy a more powerful power supply? If so, what? I don't want to shell out $80 and have the same thing happen again. Should I go for something like 800W?

Please advise. Thanks.

What cable did you adjust or plug in when it quit working? Are you plugging cables in while the PC is running? You said it's a 500w power supply but you failed to mention the brand name or the model number.

What brand PSU are you using? Wattage isn't everything. If you bought a bad model, then that is the reason you are failing.

edit: ninja'd

The cable I was adjusting connected into the fan modulator. I removed the fan modulator with my second PSU. When I was adjusting at first, I was simply making sure cables were seated in properly. Maybe it was a loose connection. But I always make sure to plug/unplug cables when PSU is unplugged.

Brand:

500W: Aspire AS-ATX500W

450W: Coolmax PS-450SX

These were connected to a surge protecting strip. Not directly to outlet.

Well what should I do? Things were working find before when I had a lower end PC. Now that I have upgraded what with DDR3, multi core processor, and pci express 2 video card, maybe the wattage is not enough? According to your link, my PSU's were in the range. I am building a mid-range gaming system.

But lets say that the "brand" is the issue. Isn't it a mighty huge coincidence that this has happened?

The wattage is not the only factor. There are 12v rails, and all that other stuff i can't even say. patonb or slaymate know more.

Just to let you know, the wattage isn't the "real wattage" you get out of a PSU.

That's news for me.

Should I go try a best buy power supply out then? What should I do? Tell me what to do!!!

Hmm. I'd undo the fans, and try to boot. I think youre at about the limit of the 2 psus. Both are about the same overall size.

There are 2 things to look for in power supplies. The Watts and Amps.

The 500W psu has 2 rails with 18Amps... so thats about 32Amps if you compare to a single rail one. You want as much ampsx as you can on a psu... Its like a water hose, you have psi and flow rate. If you have 10gal/min but 3psi youre not gonna get the water far... But 10gal/min anbd 100psi youre gonnza chop a person in half.

Heres a good example, this Antec 500W has 2 rails but 22Amps each.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007

Hmm. I'd undo the fans, and try to boot. I think youre at about the limit of the 2 psus. Both are about the same overall size.

There are 2 things to look for in power supplies. The Watts and Amps.

The 500W psu has 2 rails with 18Amps... so thats about 32Amps if you compare to a single rail one. You want as much ampsx as you can on a psu... Its like a water hose, you have psi and flow rate. If you have 10gal/min but 3psi youre not gonna get the water far... But 10gal/min anbd 100psi youre gonnza chop a person in half.

Heres a good example, this Antec 500W has 2 rails but 22Amps each.
Newegg.com - Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

Is it possible that I may be daisy chaining too much? like, having a hard drive, video card, 2 fans, in one chain?

Even with everything disconnected, and only the motherboard connection, the PC will not start. Nothing happens. It seems like the fuse may have blown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom