Problem - Now No Post - Just Beeping as music

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodgie99

Beta member
So here is a new one I have never seen, and of course it happens to me!

So ok, my 2 year old son was watching nickjr on my PC this morning. Heard something associated with the keyboard being knocked around. No big deal go it, he is still watching all is well, I goto work. My wife calls me and says the keyboard will only type when CAPS lock is on. Ok, my son screwed up the keyboard, it sucks but whatever.

Here comes the fun part. I have my wife check the keyboard conection and restart. The comp then does not post and starts to beep a music tune. dededda dedededaaaa, over and over again. I repeat NO POST screeen. Tried to reboot with out keyboard same thing. The computer is a custom build that has been pretty stable for the last 1.5yrs, no overclocking. The only problem i have ever had was the Network interface on the Mobo failed, so I had to get a NIC card.

System
- Abit KN8 Ultra MOBO
- Athlon 64 3500+ Venice
- Patriot Signature Series RAM (2x512)
- Segate 7200.9 120GB drive
- XFX 6800GS video
- Everything else pretty general DVD, Monitor
- Windows XP Pro

Any ideas what this could be? Virus? PS? RAM??? Any ideas would be great to hear.

Update - Just remembered we had a pretty bad lightning storm here yesterday. Could it be a CMOS error?

If you say there was a lightning storm yesterday, you could have some electrical interference. Apart from the beeping and keyboard - is everything else fine?

If you have a Belkin surge protector than they will refund you any damage to your system after a lightning storm.

It could just be some static, try leaving the computer for a day and see what happens after that.

Not sure though - weird?!?!?!?!/?>£^?!"???????

If you say there was a lightning storm Apart from the beeping and keyboard - is everything else fine?

Not sure though - weird?!?!?!?!/?>£^?!"???????

Besides for no posting??? Cant tell if everything else is running because I cant even post. Fans ok, PS ok.

This morning besides the keyboard everything was fine.

you need to start swapping hardware now to figure out what is bad. first take out everything but cpu, memory and video and see if it will start up. if not then try swapping memory sticks. try one or the other and in different slots and see if it will start.

if that doesnt work then try a different video card. , if it has onboard video then just take out the card and try it.

also you can try taking out the motherboard battery for a minute or so and put it back in. that resets the cmos settings , in case if something got screwed up there.

the thing is , it is posting, that is the beeps that you hear. it is post code saying something is wrong. you just dont get video for some reason.

just gotta figure out what it is now. do the steps above and let us know if anything changes.

I am at work atm, so I will try takeing out devices tonight. Does anyone know where I can find what the beeping post code means? It is not in the mobo manual (like most important info).

Does the fact that most of the computer worked except the keyboard mean anything to you all? That was the situation right before we tried a restart and it came with the final error I have stated.

could have been something wrong with the mobo. hopefully it is just cmos, that is easy to reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom