Problem with my SATA hard drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegendBreath

Daemon Poster
Hi there,
It's been arround a month that I had that Maxtor 250GB SATA-I hard drive and never had problem with it. But, here is the situation: Last night, I opened my PC so that I can download something all night, so, when I woke up my self, I went on the PC all was working OK, I then installed a software which required me to restart my computer, so I restarted... but when it came to boot to the hard drive, it just doesn't want to boot. It says that there is no bootable devices. But if I go to the boot menu, my hard drive is there. And sometime, my motherboard, ASUS K8V-X, detects it, but quite wrong, it's not the good model number and there is alot of weird characters in the name. I've tried to change the SATA cable, and to use a different power connector, but nothing does it.

Please, can someone help me? I'm quite desesperate to go on my good computer again, right now I'm on a Pentium 100MHz which is really slow... :p

Sounds like the hard drive is about dead.

Download a live cd like Knoppix (knoppix.net) for now (must change boot device to CD-ROM) You can also check the HD through that OS also.

Make sure you check to make sure the Sata cord is snug. If that doesn't work it is most likely your hard drive. If they are going to break, they usually break quickly.

Just use Knoppix for now. You can still go on the internet and do usually work if you save it on a USB drive or floppy.

Yeah, for now I'm on a 6GB and it sucks lol :p Well, I'll return that hard drive, are you sure that it's the hard drive and not the motherboard? Mabe it would be the motherboard, is that possible?

ive read on various other threads on the same issue that the person tried the hd on another pc and nothin changed , so cant be the mobo

Why don't you install the hard drive from the computer you are on now to see if the hard drive is the problem?

Well, I managed to plug in a 6GB IDE hard drive, so the computer works now, but I can't see my 250GB SATA partition, but windows reports the drive to be OK and also my RAID-SATA utility software that came with my mobo says its OK. So, what I'm thinking is that my partition is blew up or something, I'll try to format and I'll tell you if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom