Problem with monitor ports - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Default Problem with monitor ports

I have a monitor port issue on my computer, which has 2 monitor ports. At any time, only one of them will work. It just happens randomly, that when I switch on the computer on a random day the monitor port just decides to stop working and my monitor shows that it cant receive any signal. Then I switch monitor port and it works. This happens the other way too (the 2nd monitor port stops working and the first monitor port starts working again).

I wouldnt have been so bothered by it given that I know that I can make the monitor display stuffs by switching the monitor port. However, the 2nd monitor port is about 3 times laggy than the first one, and makes my games lag so bad that even when I put all the graphic to the lowest it still lags.

Previously when I did a system restore just after the first monitor port stops working, after the restore it starts working again. However, today I spent an hour restoring it a few times but it just wont work anymore.

I'm sure it isnt the monitor's problem because it happened last time when I tried using 2 other monitors as well.

I would appreciate if anyone could help me solve the monitor port problem (how to get the first port working again) or how to fix the lag in the 2nd monitor port. Thx.

Just some info you might need:
Windows: Vista Home Premium
Model: Acer Aspire M5641
System type: 32-bit
Display: NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
Current Display Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60 Hz)
Monitor: BenQ G2200W (Analog)

(The problem happened when I purchased the PC 2-3 years ago, and it was 1 year after that I finally discovered that the problem was the monitor ports not the monitor. I dont think the shop is open anymore)

Old 02-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Problem with monitor ports

TBH the inbuilt graphics you have is rather old, even a $30 card will outperform it these days. I'd suggest buying a cheap pci-e card (maybe a 5450 or GT210) and installing that
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Closed Thread