Problem with LCD Replacement - PLEASE HELP ASAP - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Troll Patrol

Default Problem with LCD Replacement - PLEASE HELP ASAP

I am doing a job for a client right now and this is my last ditch effort, no one in the company has any idea!

I am doing a simple LCD replacement on an HP Pavilion DV5 1000us Laptop; did the replacement fine, booted up the box and ran into this issue;

Screen Lights up, whole screen goes grey...

Nothing on the display, no text, no post, no nothing, I can hear the fans and HDD spinning fine.

After about 30 seconds, screen turns white. Just sits there. Still lit up, like a lit white screen.

Due to the computer being given to me with a broken LCD, I was unable to see if it was booting properly before hand, only that it did in fact turn on.

I am under the impression I did the install correctly (I have done many) given the screen lights up (inverter check) and it has the ability to generate colors (grey, white screen).

Does this sound like a PREVIOUS issue or could this in fact have something to do with the LCD install?

Box needs to be returned to client by lunch tomorrow, so I need to know what to tell him or fix the install if I did this incorrectly.

I'm A+ and Network + certified, I've just never run into this issue.

--Oh, and calling client and asking if it was working before hand is not an option; because obviously he's going to say yes regardless. Anything they can do to get something free they will

Old 02-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Problem with LCD Replacement - PLEASE HELP ASAP

I think that you have a bad connection somewhere from the lcd to the board. Maybe you could also try hooking up an external monitor to see if it displays anything.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Been awhile, Josh.

Yeah, definitely something wrong with the connection.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Troll Patrol

Tried using an external monitor with both SVGA and HDMI, using the Function key (Function + F4) to switch between monitors as you do on Laptops... It wouldn't even recognize that a monitor was plugged in, the monitors I tried just went into auto sleep mode as if it wasn't plugged in.

I'm actually inside the box now, I've confirmed that the pin connector IS installed correctly, but I'm about to go replug in the inverter and see if that does anything.. Though, it was lighting up, so I assumed the inverter was fine.

After all, there are only 2 plugs involved in changing an LCD, so I really don't see where I went wrong but...
Old 02-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

If you can't get any display from anything than something else must be faulty.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Troll Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinks View Post
If you can't get any display from anything than something else must be faulty.
-- Yes, I tried 2 monitors neither would recognize. SVGA and HDMI.

Meaning I did in fact do the LCD install correctly? I mean, like I said, if it lights up and changes color, and I was able to double check BOTH connectors...

What's our verdict?
Old 02-24-2011, 12:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Probably something wrong with the board I guess and not the display. I can't really think of any other reason for it not to work from the things you listed.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Troll Patrol

Thanks. I did check the inverter connector as well and it's also in place correctly.

Closed the box on up, but left a screw in there loose I can hear rattling around.... ******. Looks like I'm going back in for a 3rd time!

Closed Thread