Problem launching Windows

Atomicman119

Solid State Member
So i recently decided that after 5 years, its time to upgrade my PC, i looked at my current build at the time and decided to keep the case, PSU, HD, and ODD. I got the thing built and everything plugged in but everytime i turn on my PC it gets to the loading windows screen, then gives me a blue screen that says windows could not be launched and to check the hard drive. Farther down the message it says to run CHKDSK /F, but when i was able to get to the command prompt it said the drive was write protected? ive tried to startup repair multiple times, even tried reverting the hard drive back to a few days ago, with no look. What am I missing? Please help

Here are my current specs:
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
AMD FX 8350 8-core 4.0Ghz
Geforce GTX 770 2Gb
Xtreme Gear 600W ATX
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
Idk what the ODD is called
I cant find the exact name for the hard drive, its a hitachi 1TB, SATA at 3 Gb/s, 7200RPM, rated at 5v 450mA 12v 700mA (Whatever that means)

Sorry if some of the info is missing, confusing, bad, or unnecessary, Im not very tech savvy

Last edited:
So you switched out your CPU/motherboard for new parts, and just tried to put the HDD back in to try and keep your existing Windows install?

That's your issue - it only works sometimes (I've only had good luck on Windows 7 Pro). What version of Windows are you running?

If it's XP, you can do a repair install and rebuild the hardware profile and it may work: How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

If you have Windows 7, then you can either do a full reformat, or you can do an in-place install. To do this, boot off of your Windows 7 disc, choose to install (Custom install) like normal, and WITHOUT FORMATTING OR DELETING ANY PARTITIONS... select the partition that contains your existing Windows install. It will say that a Windows install exists already,a nd that it will move everything to C:\Windows.old folder upon install. After the install completes and you're booted into Windows, then you can retrieve all of your documents from C:\Windows.old\Users folder and move everything over to your new install's user folder.

Will still be a good idea to backup any important documents/files that you have, just in case something goes wrong. Can do this either by putting your HDD in another computer as a secondary drive and copying the files, or use a Linux LiveCD, boot off of it, and copy the files to like an external drive.

Well, you were right about the PSU, pc keeps shutting down randomly while im gaming, 750W is in the mail. Everything else worked beautifully, I cant thank you enough

Last edited:
Well, you were right about the PSU, pc keeps shutting down randomly while im gaming, 750W is in the mail. Everything else worked beautifully, I cant thank you enough

What brand did u order? From your specs, 600 to 650 watts is plenty, but sometimes its nice to have extra wattage for future upgrades.

Last edited:
Corsair HX 750, and yeah the 750 was only 10 bucks more then the 650, so why not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom