Problem: Laptop shutting off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Just fired up the laptop for the first time this morning (it is used). It came up just fine. i started going over it, prepping it for my BIL's daughter... cleaning out junk files (it was clean), and started to uninstall the old version of Office to install 2007. Halfway through the uninstall it just shut off. As in *click* nothing.

I rebooted it and had to chose to start normally. It came back up fine. it worked for a few minutes, *click* (very faint click, like the power was cut off from the optical drive).

I've had it shut off five times so far, even in safe mode.

It seems like a heat issue. I can feel no air moving from the duct and cannot here the fan spinning. The bottom gets pretty warm, but not so hot it can't be touched. Elevating the laptop doesn't seems to help. I have sent a message to the seller, but have no idea if he will see it or when he may respond (no, it was not bought on eBay but from a private individual).

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4656. I need a diagnosis of what the problem could be, and a way to get it up and running. I'm thinking I need to know how to get the fan going. I do not have any compressed air not any way to get any at the present time; the ducts all seem clean.

Best bet will be to open it up and see if the fans are moving. If not they might have to be replaced.

Why isnt this in the Laptop section?? It is entitled Everything Laptops. :p

If ya need i can paypal you some money to get a can of compressed air to try that option as well.

I might have got it working by going Fred Flintstone on it... I poked it with a stick.

Actually, I used a paper clip. :D I used it to reach in and turn the fan. Maybe it was seized up from shipping, but it seems to be working now.

A bike pump can work too if you need a quickie blow job. Use the ball inflation nipple and it should give enough air.

Just remember it blows out the side of the nipple.

You're the man, Trotter! If that hadn't worked I would have suggested trying to open 'er up and applying some Arctic Silver to the cpu fan as I've had to do that to a few ebayed laptops before. Sounds like you've figure it out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom