Problem installing X700 vid card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain555

Solid State Member
PC is a Compaq S6000CL. MB is Asus A7V8X-LA (OEM). Athlon 2800+, 512 Mb DDR, 80 Gig HD, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, LAN onboard, vga S3 onboard.

Got a brand new ATI X700 Pro 256 Mb. The card work fine on an old MB Epox.

Put it in the Compaq, nothing happen. When powering up, no message, no beeping error, just sit there doing nothing. Power is on, fan is running, but that's it.

Updated bios to latest available from Compaq/HP website. No go.

PC work fine with onboard VGA.

Asus tech won't give me time of day because OEM. Compaq tech told me, I had an incompatibility problem. DUH. Haven't heard from ATI.

Anybody has a suggestion ? Or forget it ?

Isn't that absolutely ridiculous, Asus customer service won't help you because the system is a compaq OEM. That really burns me up, just ridiculous....

The only option in the bios for the video give you a choice between "PCI" and "AGP/Onboard". It's set to the latter.

There might be a secret switch somewhere, but then, that's the kind of info I'm hoping for.

Well, from my experience I've seen Compaq's with no more then 250w PSU's. And if that is the case here, then I would say that your PSU isn't providing enough juice for your whole system including a ATI RADEON X700. You did plug a molex connecter into the card right?

Check to see if what i'm saying is right. 250watt PSU is insufficent for a X700 + all your other components.

I bought my brother a 6800GT to put in his COMPAQ PRESARIO and the same issue happened. It only has a 250watt PSU also. Which I didn't know when I bought him the card. After rigging up a 400watt PSU to his COMPAQ, everything started without a problem. Well, there was one problem, the 400watt PSU doesn't fit in his case. LOL - so we had to mod the case. Fun, Fun, Fun...

Oh man, good lead. You're right it's a 250W. It happen I had a brand new 480W at hand. Same thing. No go.

One thing is for sure, a 250W is not enough. That will have to go. But there is another problem. It really seems to me that this motherboard can't take that card. I'm considering changing the motherboard too.

People at Compaq/HP are worthless. I ask them if they had a list of video card that was supported by that motherboard. They told me no. They suggested I contact an HP Retailer.

I went and bought a 550W. Had to put a new power supply in there anyway. No go.

PC work fine without the X700 card. With the card in, nothing. Power come up, cpu and card fan running, but no beep, no noise, no screen, nothing. Can't get to the bios.

I'm baffled.

One of the first thing I tought of doing. Got latest bios from Compaq/HP website.

Got to be the MB.

The VA-20 Abit seems a good choice. Need micro ATX. VA-20 is real cheap for what you got. I can get it for $69. around here.

Comments ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom