Problem with I/O Controller (MSI S260 Laptop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc_lim3

Beta member
Here's the whole story:
I had my laptop HDD replaced due to a bad sector. After the HDD was replaced, some of the built-in hardware peripherals were suddenly downgraded. To mention a few, my USB 2.0 ports were downgraded to USB 1.1 ports; my screen lid button didn't work anymore; modem speed was downgraded from a 56K to a 33.6K; my DVD-RW drive setting of Ultra DMA-2 mode was downgraded to a PIO mode; my speaker's left channel is not working when the screen is open but works when the screen is closed. Then I ran the Intel Chipset Identification Utility and had the ff. results:

Detected Chipset: Mobile Intel(R) 82915GM/GMS/910GML Express Chipset family

Memory Controller: Mobile 82915GM/GMS/82910GML
I/O Controller: Failed to identify your ICH

I was suspecting that the I/O controller might have suffered a static discharge during the time my HDD was replaced and given that the chipset identification utility wasn't able to identify the I/O controller.
But surprisingly, all the peripherals mentioned above registered w/o errors on the Windows Device Manager and were updated to their latest driver versions.

Was my suspicion right about the static discharge or just a case of device driver mismatch? Though I used the recovery CD to bring things back to normal. Are there any workarounds to bring them back to their optimum settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom