Problem with home-made USB cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrc34

Beta member
I recently made a usb extension cord using a usb male plug, a usb female plug from an old hub, and some extra 4 wire cable i had. The problem with it is that it will not recognize my usb memory stick. My usb mouse and a usb gamepad work on my computer using the extension cord but my usb memory doesnt. It does work when plugged directly into the port. Windows tells me that the device failed and is unknown, and both IDs are 0000 (failed enumeration). The continuity on the wire is fine i checked it. Im wondering if there is something i am missing or some secret that i do not know with usb cables.

Also: the light on my usb drive that shows when it is being accessed flashes for about 2 seconds when i plug it straight into my usb port, when i use the extension cord the light stays solid for 2 seconds.

check your bios settings and see if there is a legacy usb option...how old is the drive?

I actually bought a flash drive and haven't even tested it...over half a year now...I think I should :D

You may be experiencing power loss along the lines somewhere. You can volt test the connectors after you plug it in and see if they read low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom