Problem with HDD - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via ICQ to vpx_rodder Send a message via AIM to vpx_rodder Send a message via Yahoo to vpx_rodder
Default Problem with HDD

I have a hardrive that the owner would like all the files to be recovered from.... the only problem is, when I hook it up into my machine, the computer will recognize it, but it shows that the whole hard drive is used (in blue) with no available space. Not a problem, but when I double click on the drive, it says it's not formatted.

I am thinking all of the data is lost... any ideas?

Old 05-29-2007, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Default Re: Problem with HDD

Did you try a disk recovery program. As long as your computer can read the data, you should be able to retrieve it.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via ICQ to vpx_rodder Send a message via AIM to vpx_rodder Send a message via Yahoo to vpx_rodder

The computer will not boot to the hard drive... i put it in my machine and set it as a slave drive, and the computer can recognize it, but if you try to open up the folder it just says the disk is unformatted and cannot be opened.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

here is a suggestion. download a live distro of linux such as knoppix. burn the cd and boot off that CD with the hdd attached as slave. see if linux can read the data off it and maybe it can copy some stuff to the other drive for backup.

I have found this to work sometimes when windows wont read the drive for some reason or another. windows tends to really freak out when a system file is damaged or such. have had windows freeze up with a slave drive that had a bad system file. but linux read it just fine

let us know if that works
Old 05-30-2007, 09:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Well, there is another problem as well. When I hook up the HDD, my cd-rom stops working.... im not sure why... lol

Thank you for the idea though, I will give it a shot if I can get it to work with my cd player.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpx_rodder View Post
The computer will not boot to the hard drive... i put it in my machine and set it as a slave drive, and the computer can recognize it, but if you try to open up the folder it just says the disk is unformatted and cannot be opened.
A file recovery program should be able to open files as long as there is something to read. You can reformat the hard drive and the programs can still recover some data.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

thanks for replying.

Do you have any programs you could recommend?

Closed Thread