problem with graphics accelerator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alisa

Beta member
A little lengthy but I thought I should give all the info I had about the problem I'm experiencing.

About a month ago, I was using my computer (watching anime, instant messaging, etc) and all of a sudden, my computer screen went crazy on me. There were lots of colors and lines. Then, it went back to normal and I got a pop up window telling me that my graphics accelerator had to reset itself and that I needed to reboot the computer. I did just that and everything was fine again.

The same thing happened 2 weeks ago but the problem wasn't solved as easily. After rebooting the computer, I tried to first get on my msn messenger but as soon as it signed me in, my computer went into standby mode and I had to manually turn the computer on. I tried two more times but the same thing happened so I opened up my computer and dusted it out because I thought that maybe trapped dust might be overheating the computer and causing it to go into standby mode. There wasn't too much dust but after cleaning it, the computer worked fine.... until yesterday.

Again, the screen went crazy on me and got that "graphics accelerator..." pop up so I rebooted the computer but it didn't work. About 20 seconds after loggin into my account on this computer, it went into standby mode. After several tries, it stopped going into stand by mode and I had time to consult my brother through msn. He suggested I go to ATI's website and download a new graphics driver. So I used the link he gave me and did as he said.

My computer seemed to be running fine again but this morning, I experienced the same problem but I can't find any solution to this anymore. My computer shuts down everytime I try to run more than 3 things at once.

This is a gateway computer that I bought in 2003. I got an internal and external hard drive about 2 years ago. I haven't had any major problems with this computer until now. Is there anything a computer hardware illiterate person like me can do to fix it or should I just take it into geeksquad?

I would put in a new graphics card, that should fix your problem. What one are you using now and do you know how to install one?

A couple things can contribute to this problem, including (but not limited to) the card overheating or the card itself not getting enough power from the power supply. If this just started happening recently, it's probably a sign that either the card or power supply is on its way out, and you may have to replace it.

If you have any spare cards laying around, take out the current card (unscrew) and place in the spare (of course, first uninstall completely the card's current drivers).

One thing to point out though, is that a number of high-clocked R9700/9800-based cards have been reportedly known to permanently fail after about two years of use.

Is computer going into stand by mode or shutting off? if its a heat issue normally it will just shut down not go into stand by. If its a driver issue it would prob kick you into standbye. Possibly bad ram also. Would try what was listed above first. the purple lines is a sign of a bad card or overheating of the card.

My computer says it's going into standby mode but it actually just shuts down. When I start up my computer, the programs I had running are still there.

I'll try replacing the card and hope it works. Thanks for the suggestions!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom