problem with dvd cd rom drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default problem with dvd cd rom drive

I built my dad a new computer, and it works fine . ( thanks guys) when i took it to him he gave me his old emachines T 2891, to strip out and reinstall windows xp. he even had the recovery disc that came with it. sometime in the past he had someone put in a new 160gb hardrive it was sata and they used a pci card to adapt it to the older computer. i just put the original 60gb hard drive back in, and removed the 160gb one it was loaded with so much crap it would barely work. the original booted right up. he had been having problems with the dvd/cd rom drive but he never used it anyway when i tried to put his msn dialup disc in, it wouldn't do anything but display a message that device wasn't ready. i tried a few other discs and the same thing i put in a dvd movie and it started right up and played. the device manager says that it is working properly. also i went on the emachines website to look for drivers and they don't have drivers on the site. any thoughts would be appriciated thanks.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: problem with dvd cd rom drive

Have you tried deleting the upper and lower filters in the registry. It seems to fix that problem. I'll give you the link to it:
You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"

Also see if the Nero service or InCD services are running. Sometimes stopping Nero can cause this also.

To rule out it's the computer and not the DVDRW drive try the DVD drive in another computer.

I had a similar problem with my DVD/CDRW and tried numerous things to fix it. Unfortunately we resolved it as fried hardware. I hope it helps you in any case.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

this disc work in other machines? may just be a bad disc now...happens
Old 06-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i ended up useing the recovery disc and for some reason it started up and run ok after that the disc drive seems to work ok now i'am trying to install his copy of norton 2008 (not my idea) and it says it needs updates from their website after about 7 min. the download stops and error message comes up that says it has timed out in an unusal way and it stops downloading
Closed Thread