Problem with CPU - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2008, 06:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Problem with CPU

Im running a e6600 and ive had 3 blue screens over the last week while just browsing the internet, or on word. i check the temperature of the cpu using the thermal analysis tool. And its saying that its running at 58 degrees. the computers in a big case, lots of ventilation im not sure why its running so hot.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: Problem with CPU

are you using a cpu fan? hsf...etc

also are you oc'ing?

get in bios and reset to factory default and run it a few times if not default

Old 02-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via MSN to Really Useful Matt

Why someone using Word, or browsing the internet, would want Overclock such a processor is beyond me. But judging by that ridiculous array of hardware spec, I'm going to just assume that you have.

58 Degrees Celsius is a very high temperature for a processor like that, doing such pathetic tasks. I'm inclined to think that you've either not applied any thermal paste, or you've done it badly. What socket is the e6600? Because if it's a 775, there's a **** good chance that you've not seated the heatsink and fan correctly.
CompTIA Certified A+ 601, 602, 603 & 604, Network+

If you want a follow up to any of my posts, use the 'Quote' feature. I believe this should notify me of your further enquiry. If not, just send me a message.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

found out what it was, the fan on top of the heat sink was spinning but only at half the speed it should. replaced it an its fine, running at 36 - 37 deg's now.
Closed Thread