Problem connecting a new LCD monitor to an "old" PC - Help requested - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Problem connecting a new LCD monitor to an "old" PC - Help requested

I am new on this forum and I hope that I am posting at the right place.

I have an old PC equipped with an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX400 graphics card (a "legacy" card which I acquired in the early 2000's) that I have been using with several 15" and 17" LCD monitors without any problem.

I have just acquired a new 24" LCD monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 245B) and all my attempts to connect it to this PC have been unsuccessful so far. According to the manufacturer Samsung, this monitor should be operated with a refresh rate of 60Hz at its native resolution of 1920 x 1200. The problem I face is that, when I set the refresh rate at 60Hz, the image I get is larger than the screen. By setting the refresh rate to 70Hz, I get an image that exactly fits the screen but then, all the text appears blurred on the monitor. The monitor is connected to the PC through a VGA cable since the graphics card only has a VGA port. I have spent hours trying to tweak the card using the NVIDIA control panel. I use Windows XP SP2 and I have the latest NVIDIA drivers (v. 93.71) but I also tried previous drivers versions. I have also installed the driver for the monitor. But no success.

I am almost sure that there is no problem with the 24" LCD monitor as I have seen it working fine with other PCs. Is it possible that there is some incompatibilty between the GeForce2 graphics card and this type of monitors? Or is there any possible tweak that I haven't found and that would solve the problem?

Could someone possibly help?

Old 04-22-2008, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Default Re: Problem connecting a new LCD monitor to an "old" PC - Help requested

I wonder if maybe that card won't support the resolution of the monitor. Other than that I have nothing.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Problem connecting a new LCD monitor to an "old" PC - Help requested

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave1984 View Post
I wonder if maybe that card won't support the resolution of the monitor. Other than that I have nothing.
I wonder that, too. But how to know for sure?
Closed Thread