Problem Connectiing and running duel displayes. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Problem Connectiing and running duel displayes.

I am using a cheap Acer lap-top with a ATI Radion Xpreess 1100 graphics card. I am running on an XP operating system.

Problem:
I have several movies stored on my computer and wished to display them on my 46in HD LCD TV. So I ordered a HDMI to DVI cable and a DVI to VGA adapter so that I could hook up my lap top to my tv. After hooking everything up i opened the Catalist Control Center. The program did not, however, recognize my TV. I have fought with it for hours now and am at a complete loss. I wish now to pick the minds of men who know more of this than I. So I have come here.

Thank you for your time.
Jimmy

Old 03-31-2008, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: Problem Connectiing and running duel displayes.

Hello,

Some vital questions:
  • What Acer laptop model do you have / what video output ports are there on your laptop?
  • What LCD TV do you have / what video input ports do you have on your LCD TV?
  • How have you connected your laptop to your TV (what are the inputs/outputs and the cables/adapters used?).
If you've connected your HD LCD TV to your laptop using a HDMI to DVI adapter coupled with a DVI to VGA adapter, then this won't work because HDMI is a digital interface, and isn't capable of handling analogue data sent through the VGA to DVI adapter from the VGA port on your laptop.

Depending on the available video input and output ports, you'll need to connect your LCD TV in a different way.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 03-31-2008, 04:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke

s-video would be the only other way to connect this to yur laptop...
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 04-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin.C View Post
Hello,

Some vital questions:
  • What Acer laptop model do you have / what video output ports are there on your laptop?
  • What LCD TV do you have / what video input ports do you have on your LCD TV?
  • How have you connected your laptop to your TV (what are the inputs/outputs and the cables/adapters used?).
If you've connected your HD LCD TV to your laptop using a HDMI to DVI adapter coupled with a DVI to VGA adapter, then this won't work because HDMI is a digital interface, and isn't capable of handling analogue data sent through the VGA to DVI adapter from the VGA port on your laptop.

Depending on the available video input and output ports, you'll need to connect your LCD TV in a different way.
I have the Acer Aspire 3050 - 1118 Laptop. The only video output on my computer is VGA. The TV is a Sonny Bro via LCD Projection. It appears to have just about any input you can think of. You were correct on how I hooked it up, and I guess thats not going to work. How would you suggest me hooking it up?
Old 04-01-2008, 08:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke992006 View Post
s-video would be the only other way to connect this to yur laptop...
So I can go VGA to S-video?
Old 04-01-2008, 11:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

no, you would connect an s-video adapter to your laptop (the red whit and yellow cable connects into the adapter then connects to your tv.
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 04-02-2008, 01:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
no, you would connect an s-video adapter to your laptop (the red whit and yellow cable connects into the adapter then connects to your tv.
Ah but my laptop doesn't have an s-video port. Do you mean there are adapters that go vga > s-video > Audio video cables ? You wouldn't happen to have a picture in a link or something? I don't think I am following you.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyd2900 View Post
I have the Acer Aspire 3050 - 1118 Laptop. The only video output on my computer is VGA. The TV is a Sonny Bro via LCD Projection. It appears to have just about any input you can think of. You were correct on how I hooked it up, and I guess thats not going to work. How would you suggest me hooking it up?
I'm assuming you mean a Sony Bravia? If so, what model?

If your TV has VGA input, then just use a VGA cable to connect you laptop to the TV.

|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 04-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

all laptops usually have s-video,,,, its a small circle with a cup holes in it...if your tv has vga why did you not try this from the beginning (so i have to assume he does not have tv vga alvin.)
Old 04-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
all laptops usually have s-video,,,, its a small circle with a cup holes in it...if your tv has vga why did you not try this from the beginning (so i have to assume he does not have tv vga alvin.)
He did say that his TV 'appears to have just about any input you can think of'. But still, I'm not certain on what video input ports he has on his TV, or what TV he has for that matter. Not too clear on that.

Closed Thread