Problem clearing CMOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok that whole 'log on as admin or guest' is something you see at the beginning of the windows screen...there ARE passwords for BIOS's but that's only to get INTO the BIOS, it wouldn't just pop up at you.

Clearing the CMOS won't do anything in regards to a windows password.

just try 'admin' or 'administrator' for the admin password, or try logging into guest without typing a password at all....other than that, don't konw what to tell you

are you sure you tried to press cancel or ok,

it happened to me before, and i just hit cancel or ok without anythign typed in and it worked

Epilogue- I was trying to get into the BIOS to remove the Windows PW. Definitely tried cancel/esc & so forth, with both PWs. I was able to log on as a guest, but couldn't add programs, or ANYTHING.
Never got into the BIOS, but my wife (who knows nothing about computers) cracked the Windows PW- I was able to reload XP & it's all working now.
Moral of the story- never underestimate one's wife!
Thanks anyway guys! Who needs to get into the BIOS anyway (mutter mutter, curse curse)

ag100

congrats to your wife

but like I said, the BIOS has nothing to do with a password within windows.

and if you got into windows you wouldn't need to 'reload' it...you shoulda have been able to go to control panel - users and reset the password and turn off the guest account so it goes straight in like it should

WHAT? You mean I spent half a day trying to get into the BIOS, to cancell the Windows PW & it wouldn't have worked? Darn.
I thought I was relying on expert advice.....
I did have to reload XP anyway to clear up some other probs- I don't know enought to fix things without just reloading, or doing a complete format & install.
With some help from you clever chappies & lasses, I'll learn- I'm very determined!
Thanks- at least I learned a few things.

ag100

WHAT? You mean I spent half a day trying to get into the BIOS, to cancell the Windows PW & it wouldn't have worked? Darn.
I thought I was relying on expert advice.....
I did have to reload XP anyway to clear up some other probs- I don't know enought to fix things without just reloading, or doing a complete format & install.
With some help from you clever chappies & lasses, I'll learn- I'm very determined!
Thanks- at least I learned a few things.

hey, you were the one who screwed up the question.

How can I clear the CMOS? I found the jumper, not sure whether to change it to clear & turn comp on, or what?
I can't even get into setup, without a PW.
The guy at the shop denies all knowledge of any PW??
I'm lost!

In your first post you asked how to clear the cmos (or get into the bios) and we told you how to do that.

Its not our fault that you mixed up getting into BIOS and getting into Windows.

yeah but come on, obviously he's not a 'computer whiz' You should have been able to deduce he meant windows from the fact he said it's bringing up 'admin or guest' and asking for a password....since when has your BIOS asked you to sign in as an admin or guest, and beyond that, asked you that upon starting up your computer......you have to TRY to get into the BIOS, it doesn't just slam you with a PW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom