Problem with both of my Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

GolferBoy06

Solid State Member
so I have 2 250 GB sata hd's plugged in both plugged in properly.
The first weird problem is my primary HD is only HALF partitioned. Its a 250 GB drive.

Second problem is my secondary HD shows up under properties but It won't show up in my computer so I can get into it or transfer anything to it.

How do I fix these problems? Thank you guys.
Shows up I have a 3rd CD drive but I don't I have a CD/RW and a DVD drive.

You probably installed XP from a CD without a Service Pack.

You may have installed SP1 or SP2 by now.

If you don't know if you did, right click "My computer" --> "Properties" and see if it says "Service Pack 1" or "Service Pack 2".

Also post a screenshot of diskmgmt.msc.

To open diskmgmt.msc

Click "start" --> "Run". Type the following: "diskmgmt.msc" and post a screenshot of it.

once you get into disk manager you can allocate and format the other drive. you can also check for unformatted portions of your 1st drive.

wow thank you guys so much I went in and just had to right click on space that was un partitioned. Thank you so much guys.

Yes, but please post a screenshot first. You don't want to screw anything up here.

To save some time, you can skip the Service Pack part. We can tell from the screenshots of diskmgmt.msc if you have any installed.

GolferBoy06 said:
wow thank you guys so much I went in and just had to right click on space that was un partitioned. Thank you so much guys.

Ok, so the full 250GB was visible and you created 2 partitions? Added one to the first disk and created one on the second disk?

wanna have the why is it only 232gb when the disk manufacturer says 250gb debate?

No Thanks Not Again.
;-)
nice job

hefemeister said:
wanna have the why is it only 232gb when the disk manufacturer says 250gb debate?

No Thanks Not Again.
;-)
nice job

You did the right thing.

232GB is normal. It is because HDD manufacturers use a different system to count GB's (decimal) than Windows (binary).

I assume you have SP1 because you are saying you are going to upgrade to SP2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom