Problem with BIO I'm assuming - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2006, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to KB3JUV Send a message via Yahoo to KB3JUV
Default Problem with BIO I'm assuming

I recently just got my hands on a computer I will be using for backup uses. It is a hp pavilion xt963 with a 1.2Ghz Celeron processor. I put in new ram, another dvd drive, a new sound and video card, and another hard drive. When I started it up the first time, the computer went through the update of the system configuration. All of the stuff passed and at the bottom it said system configuration complete.

Well nothing happened after that. It just sat there. So at the bottom it says press F1 to enter setup. I pressed it, nothing happened.

I turn the computer off, and try it again. It turns on, and does the same exact thing but without the system config complete message. Still f1 won't work and it just sits there.

So this time, I decided to restart it, but to press f1 before it went through the ram and cd drives and hard drive configuration. I pressed it, and it responded and said SETUP loading. Well then it sat there and continued to say setup loading.

Well I thought it might be a cable select issue on the back of the hard drives or cd drives. I checked and they were all on cable select.

I also replaced the ram with a 128 stick thinking maybe there was a ram issue. I started it up with the 128 ram, it went through the motions and this time again said setup configuration complete. That means it is completeing the config process every time i change hardware, but it's not responding after that. I put the 512 of ram back in since it wasn't a ram issue.

Do you guys have any ideas on what to do?

Old 06-15-2006, 12:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

reset the CMOS and turn the pc on again. if that fails take everything back to the way it was before, if that works then add the new components one at a time and see at what point it freezes. if you have proven its not memory then in my experience 9/10 times it is a failing ide drive that stalls the pc.

Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to KB3JUV Send a message via Yahoo to KB3JUV

Alright now I took the BIOS battery out and replaced it, and now I start the computer up, and a HP logo screen comes up. Still doesn't do anything after that now. Any idea?

Making progress, still not there yet...
Closed Thread