Prob With My Computer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2005, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Angry Prob With My Computer

It is really weird. When I plugged in, the lights on the computer were all on, the light on CD ROM was blinking. But the monitor showed no signal. I Checked and am sure the connection btw monitor and computer was fine. I even connected the computer to another monitor, still the same thing.
I found even the light on the CD ROM was on, but when I pressed the button, it did not open.

Then I am thinking the computer is not REALLY ON .

I tried again and again to press the power button, nothing changes. I pressed it for more than 1 minute, still, the lights won't go off except I unplug it.

My thought is the power button is broken?????????
I am not a computer person, so, really need someone to give me some help!
It is an old one, COMPAQ5030, I do not know how to open the front cover even, so no way to check the button ;-((

Old 09-16-2005, 12:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
S e c u r e d

Could be your Graphics card is shot... Does your computer beep at you at all when you turn it on ?

Old 09-16-2005, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

You mean beep sound? no, I did not hear anything. but if it is the prob of the graphic card, if I keep pressing the power button more than 1 minute, the computer should still be off. Right?
Old 09-16-2005, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Holding the power button down for 5 seconds should shut it down, but doesn't mean it's the power button that's not working if it won't. Guessing it's an ATX board, it's not a hard power switch like flipping the switch to a lite.

You're going to have to get the cover off of the machine and look inside. No offense at all, but if you're not computer literate enough to get the cover off, you're better off bringing it to someone that knows what they are doing.

Figure you'll spend multiple hours of your own time trying to fix something that someone else can diagnose in just a few minutes possibly.
Associates Degree in IS

A+ Certified

Studying for Network+
Old 09-16-2005, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Closed Thread