Printer .... kinda wierd

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeptikal

Beta member
Hello!

I have been having problems with this single printer. It's a Canon ip1600 photo printer. I am trying to install it on a Dell Dimension 8400 computer and it's not working lol.

Well I have tried to install the drivers countless times and have failed. What I don't get is why it wont read the drivers from the CD that came with the printer or when I copy those files to the harddrive.

The printer comes up as "Other Devices" in the Device Manager but when I go to update the drivers I point it to the CD (or the C: where the files are copied as well) and it tells me everytime that the Necessary Software cannot be found. But this is the CD that came with the printer.

I thought this was the printer then and it just was acting up. Well I brought the printer to another workstation at our company and installed the drivers exactly like I would on the dell. Everything worked fine like a normal install of a printer would, but then taking it back over to the dell desktop did not change what was happening in the first place.

Neither my boss (Head computer Tech Analyst) or I can figure out what is going on and I was wondering if we were just missing something obvious or what. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure whether your Dimension is part of a work group or domain but it is possible for windows permissions to be set so that drivers that have not been signed by microsoft can not be installed. Alternatively you might want to try connecting the printer > inserting the CD and running the software/driver installation and then seeing whether it is recognised in device manager or under printers in the Control panel. If you still have no luck try downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturer of the printers website.

Kinda sounds like a USB issue. Can you update the drivers for your USB controller ?

You should also try to pull the drivers via 'INF' just incase.
But I would update the usb drivers first.

Another thought... Is this a USB 2.0 cable ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom