Printer install problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kprtop

Solid State Member
Hey everyone
I am trying to install a printer for my bro, should be a simple task but is not. XP Pro and it will not recognize a printer, I have tried 2 diff printers and they won't be seen. The add hardware wizard won't see them nor will the software that came with the printers. XP is up to date on updates, usb ports seem to work fine-mouse, keyboard and other usb devices all work fine. Print spooler is running. I have tried the latest drivers from HP and Canon websites. Can install the software fine but XP just won't see the printers. I don't know what els to try and cannot really find anything by searching, any thoughts? Thanks

Try a different USB Cable they can go bad sometimes have seen that in the past more then once. Also see if the printer supports USB 2 compatibility might be your problem.

Yep, plugged in and powered on. Both printers are brand new. I'll try another cable, I was assuming the cable he had was new, perhaps it wasn't.

Tried a good cable and no dice. I go through the install process again and same as before. When the install program says to connect the printer, it detects the connection and says to wait but then cannot make the connection.

Called the printers' tech support people. Yeah, yeah, I know that is admitting defeat, but sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do. If the PC isn't connecting it could have to do with the drivers/software, and that is their realm.

Was the printer connected and powered on before the software install? If it's a USB printer, many times you have to install the software first then conect the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom