Hi everyone, I have been having a problem for the past few hours and I just can't seem to figure it out. I was wondering if anyone would know why my printer is not working? I've had the printer for a few years now and it just doesn't seem to work. When I try to print a document, the printer will not respond in any way.
The printer is on and it is powered on but apparently it will not communicate with the operating system.
Here is a link to the printer model (I should also note that I have taken the troubleshooting steps that HP has given me but to no avail) :
HP Officejet J4540 All-in-One Printer - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
Here are the troubleshooting steps I have taken so far:
1. I ensured all the connections were secure. All of them were.
2. I tried to power off the printer then power it back on.
3. I tried to reinstall the driver, but the printer still did not work. Actually, after I did that, windows notified me that the driver was not found for the device, but I know that the driver is the correct driver because I am running windows 7 home premium 64 bit and I know I am using this printer, and those are the options I chose when I went to retrieve the download for the printer.
4. I went to device manager to check for any unknown devices. I found nothing, even after refreshing device manager.
5. I tried disconnecting the printer from one USB port and plugging it into a different USB port. This also did not work.
6. I disconnected the printer from the USB port, powered off my computer, then started my computer back up and reinserted the printer's USB cable into the USB port. This still did not work. I thought maybe Windows would recognize new hardware and attempt to install it, but this did not happen.
7. Lastly, I went into the BIOS and ensured that there were no options for enabling certain USB devices. There were no such options that I could find.
If you have any questions or you need any more details, just let me know and I will answer ASAP. Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks for any help you have to offer. I really do appreciate it