Primrary Monitor goes blank and comes back with grabled graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaneelias

Beta member
I am running windows xp sp2 and have a 17 in Samsung syncmaster 172n as my primary monitor running to my brand new galaxy 8600gt video card via the vga port, i am running my hitachi 32inch lcd tv as a secondary monitor (eg, extend windows desktop), the tv is connected via vga but through the dvi port via an adaptor. The issue i am having is that while i am working on my pc using the small lcd the screen will go black at random times (especially when i am doing a number of things) then come back on, this is annoying enough but sometimes when it comes back on the graphics are all scrambled, sometimes if i leave it for a minute it corrects itself, others i have to disconnect the vga and plug it back in but even then i may need to do it three or four times to correct itself.

My mother board is a Gigabyte GA-81945P-G-RH and i experienced this problem on my previous gigabyte video card (hence why i bought the galaxy) but i am still having the same problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your quick reply, the screen goes blank when i am doing simple things like copying files and on the internet.

what temperatures should i be checking.

As far as i know the ends are clean, if not what can i clean them with

I think i should also add that when i switch the plugs that is run the samsung monitor through the dvi adaptor and my hitachi tv through just the vga i still get the samsung messing up.

check gpu temps (its unlikely that it would only effect one monitor but who knows)

so is it just random when it does this or is it at a certain point...

just blow them out

hmmm, perhaps there is something wrong with the cable your using for the monitor, or perhaps there is something wrong with the monitor in general.

ok things to try:

check gpu temperatures.
blow out the cord end.
if you have another cable switch them
switch vga to dvi adapter
test monitor on another computer if available

it occurs randomly but i have noticed while i increase the number of things i am doing, eg. checking email, surfing the net, transferring files. etc.

Can you tell me how to check the gpu temperatures and what is a suitable level.
I am thinking this is a monitor issue, seems if it was a graphics problem it would be affecting both outputs.

I was reading up that i may need to clean the ventilation ports on the monitor as there could be a build up of dust.

um, Google hwmonitor... and download it. open it and it will tell you the gpu temps right there, idle not load 30 to 50 is ok. Before we get to the monitor having something wrong lets rule out the cable and adapter. yes you can blow out the dust (it usually wouldn't cause this but it is possible.) blow it out with some compressed air if you have it.

Ok, will do, i don't think the adaptor is the issue as it works perfectly with the tv and only starts to fail once the samsung monitor is inserted so that would suggest to me the monitor is the issue, but i will clean with compressed air and try a new cable tonight.

Would a xvga cable make a difference?

^it is possible, try just a normal vga cable if you have one. But right now it's looking more and more like an issue with the monitor.

Ok so here is an update, i swapped both the power cable and the vga cable for my primary monitor and everything looked great, i was able to alter all graphics settings and even set up my tv as an extended desktop. However last night while doing a couple of things at once the same problem, the screen went black and came on and all the graphics on my primary monitor were scrambled, the tv (extended desktop was fine), i unplugged the power and put it back in and the monitor corrected itself. This is the first time this has happened since i swapped the cables out, i have now switched to a Dell 15" monitor and things look good, i will be testing the crap out of this thing to see if i can replicate the error.

In summary, i have found that this issue occurs when processing power increases on my pc (eg. i am doing a number of things) but then it could be a power issue as the screen goes black and then comes on and can't find its bearings.

If anyone has any more suggestions i am all ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom