primary pci express slot problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2006, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default primary pci express slot problem

I'm not really sure what the problem is but I just bought a new 7900 GT PCI express and I took my old card out. The new card doesn't seem to be just sliding into place properly in slot 1 (gives no display, neither does my old card in slot 1, doesn't seem to fit properly either now) and the chip doesn't seem to go all the way in near the front. My MB isn't touching the back plating so when I go to push the video card into place with a little more pressure the MB sinks to the plating so i'm not able to fit it into place properly.
So either case if slot one is broken I have a SLI motherboard so is it possible to set slot 2 as default? I get display on slot 2 but it gives me a power warning saying not enough power is supplied and will have to downgrade the performace. (i'm guessing cause no card is in slot 1?).

Old 09-27-2006, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD

So, how does it not fit into slot 1, but it fits into slot 2? They are the same..

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

The board is kinda slanted against the case I guess, first one is harder to fit the card in or seems impossible right now. The 2'nd slot is higher up, basically the case was very poorly designed.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

LOL, there was something inside blocking the slot.
I went throught it with a knife and realised that the second slot didn't seem to have a bump in it like the frist one did.
Closed Thread