powersupply and power outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlim

Solid State Member
I was wondering what the chances are that i could have a bad power outlet sending power to my computer.

Before my christmas break at my dormroom, my computer was blue screening, shutting off, and restarting. It would do it almost every 5-10 minutes. I then brought my computer home with the exact same setup and it never blue screened once for the whole break (about 3-4 weeks). Then when break was over, i brought my computer back to my dorm room and it blue screened immediately and restarts often like it used to.

Since everything is the exact same as i have it at home, is the only answer the power outlet?

Try it on a diff power outlet and see. Or, a better idea, get a UPS and see if that corrects the issue.

It's quite possible, AC power out of your wall is never stable, it's constantly fluxing, to small degrees that normal surge protectors don't protect you from. It's expected and won't kill your electronics, but it is hard on them. Getting a UPS, the AC power gets converted to DC, which is nice, stable and flat, and then sends it to whatever is plugged into it.

ShackledPhoenix said:
Try it on a diff power outlet and see. Or, a better idea, get a UPS and see if that corrects the issue.

It's quite possible, AC power out of your wall is never stable, it's constantly fluxing, to small degrees that normal surge protectors don't protect you from. It's expected and won't kill your electronics, but it is hard on them. Getting a UPS, the AC power gets converted to DC, which is nice, stable and flat, and then sends it to whatever is plugged into it.

Doesn't your power supply also convert AC to DC? How would that work if you plugged the power supply into the UPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom