Powering off under CPU load!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KlumpDud

Solid State Member
I bought my HP Pavilion zv5320us about a year and a half ago, it's got XP home. It has worked fine since I bought it, but a few days ago it started shutting off whenever the CPU is under load. For example:

I'm watching an avi file in full screen and I seek to a different part, the computer will pause for a second, then just power down.

Example 2: When I try to convert a mp3 bitrate (using a program such as MP3 Cutter Joiner), it will do the same thing: load for a second then shut off.

In both instances, I can turn it on after it shuts off, and it boots up fine.

Anyone know what the deal is and how to fix it?

P.S. I recently did a clean install of XP and I haven't done anything to mess it up.

Heat. Open up your case and clean all the dust build up out. Use a can of compressed air and a soft brush.

Your computer was shutting itself to protect against heat damage.

I'd say it's heat as well, but it might also be the power supply. The CPU will draw a lot more power at full load than it does at idle.

baronvongogo said:
go into the BIOS and look for health monitor or sensor monitor the screen will have CPU temp and CPU fan speed what are they?

yea!!! look at ur BIOS and c wat ur fan speed are under a heavy load...cuz when ur at bios, it is at a quite heavy load point ,cuz the temperture are quite high and from there u can know why it shut down and also it got a auto shut down system which it will shut down at a selected temperture...when ur CPU temperture reaches the selected shut down temp it will shut down itself to prevent overheat...maybe u can disable it.BUT it quite DANGEROUS!!! cuz it will overheat ur computer
THX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom