Power Up New Computer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco

Beta member
New Build, ASUS PW5D2 MoBo, D950 CPU, Enermax Liberty 500W with AutoSwitching(no manual voltage control?), 2 GIG Ram. Checked all connections. Tried new outlets. When powerup, get the steady green lite and a second or two of Fans starting to run, then it stops, but the green lite is still lit. Appreciate input.

How can I test the Power Supply? Is there a way to test it by isolating it from the computer?

You have to cross two wires (i think red and yellow?) and read the voltage off of them for 12 volts, then a different pair for the 5 volts, and the 3.3.... yeah.

But im not sure on the combo's, ask google!

Your fan's stop after a few seconds?? How many sticks of ram are you using for the 2gb's 4? or 2? try one stick at a time. Are you getting any post beeps? Try jumpstarting the psu, buy unplugging everything and at the atx connector jump the green wire to any black and see if the psu runs if it doesn't its bad if it does then keep looking. 99% of the time these problems are related to a bad mobo.

Jeremy gives a good discription of doing this in this thread
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105487#post819393

I jump started the PSU and the Fan spun. Disconnected all peripherals. Left the 2 sticks of 1 gb ram each inserted and the video card and keyboard. Turned on and PSU, CPU, and case fans all ran but nothing posted on monitor. Then added DVD, system started and stopped as before. Disconnected DVD and connected HD, system started and stopped, tried again and this time stayed on but slight bit of smoke came off connectors to HD, which I pulled plug immediately. Seems I have a short some where. I have dissassembled everything and started over inspecting everything along the way. One thing I noticed was that once I had fans running, the switch would not turn system off, had to pull the plug. What does that mean? Also, found a cut in the wire that connects USB ports to front of Case, which could be source of short? So I disconnected that wire. I want to test each component one at a time as I reassemble system. Question, what is the sequence to do this or how should I do this and when should I see posts on the monitor? Example, if I have CPU, Ram and videocard, should I not see something being posted on monitor? Appreciate your input. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom