Power surge caused problems... need help identifying them

Antares

Beta member
I have a Dell Inspiron 620. Last night a power surged MESSED up my computer. I didn't even realize this until I had sat down to a screen that was displaying "windows is loading files" and a full bar underneath just hanging there. I knew that this meant it had automatically done a startup repair but I wasn't sure why it was hanging.

So I rebooted and changed the BIOS to run from the CD rom first. I put in a windows 7 cd to try and run startup repair from there and rebooted. Again it just loaded the "windows is loading files" bar and hanged.

At this point I decided to run an Unbuntu CD to try and salvage what was on my hardrives before I did a clean wipe and reinstall of windows 7. It displayed the Unbuntu splash page and then went blank. After this I noticed that there were sounds coming from inside my computer... Here's that uploaded in mp3 form to help give you an idea.

(after :23 skip to :58) What is this by user668315214 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

It makes these same sounds each time I tried to boot, so I figured it was my hard drive causing this. To test that theory, I removed my hardrives and used another one from a different computer that was made around the same time as my other HDDs. Still, no proper boot, and it made the exact same sounds.

All I can think of it being is a mother board issue. What do you all think?

First thoughts from the mp3, knackered hdd.
I had similar symptoms on a friends computer, I couldn't get into the disk, wouldn't boot from from anything, recovery, Linux, Dvd, nothing. (changed and ultimatley reset BIOS to defaults also)
A safe mode boot would display crcdisk.sys as the last item loaded. If I tried to boot it normally it would just hand in the same way you describe.

" To test that theory, I removed my hardrives and used another one from a different computer that was made around the same time as my other HDDs. Still, no proper boot, and it made the exact same sounds."

You cannot expect a hard drive removed from another computer to boot your own, unless you have the exact same system spec. Different hardware involved, different drivers, software etc. Far better to place your suspect drive into a friends proven working computer, as a secondary data drive if possible (grab your recoverable data from there) if installing your problem hdd into a known working system as a secondary data drive causes that pc to crash, then the problem is most likely with the hdd in question.

a crcdisk.sys fail will most likely crash the system regardless and effectivley means that the drive is indeed "knackered"

Just my thoughts

:)

I had the same thing happen last night! It boots up fine but won't go online, wifi is ok as can use laptop & iPad. I don't know much about computers would really appriciate help with what to do next!

Back
Top Bottom